300 rum

freebird63

I got me a new 300 RUM, 26 inch barrel, Remington 700
My last RUM I had good luck with Retumbo powder.
So far thats the only powder I've tried. As far as bullets go, am trying 200gr hornady ELD-X, Berger 230gr, Berger 200.20X
Primers are 215M, CCI 250 and Winchester large rifle magnum.
Have been thinking about RE26, Vhita N570 and H1000
This saturday is going to be the day I dedicate to getting a load dialed in.
Have never used RE26 or N570 and there's not a lot of info "data" out there on these two powders
Anyone have any experience with these powders in a 300RUM
Thanks everyone

Great long range banger ! Now, get on the net and buy as many casings as you can find..$200/100 seems to be about the going rate on one site I saw them...hopefully you can find lots and stock up...

I have gotten lucky and found a decent amount of brass. I started buying it when I knew I was going to buy another RUM.
I just have shot her enough yet to find out what she likes....well I do know she doesn't like the hornady precision hunter ammo....but that was before I started reloading again.
Now it seems everytime I go into a local shop they have RUM brass...but its still quite spendy.

63, haven't used the 230, but loaded the Berger 215 Hybrid at mag length in a Montana X-2 rifle with Retumbo, 215M primer and Nosler brass. This load went a .35 MOA at 200. The rifle owner has had illness with both his parents and hasn't shot it for about 6 months. We want to try it out to 500+ when he has time and perhaps try the 230 Berger.

Thank you Dosh. I haven't found any of the hybrid 215's, the 230's and the 200.20X's are available. This saturday is my day to dial in my load.

I have yet to have a gun that likes berger bullets. My last 300RUM and my 280 AI wouldn't shoot them.
On my last RUM I even put in one of those wyatt extended box magazines so I could seat my bullets farther out. It ended up liking 200gr accubonds.

With that big 215 you should be able to take out anything you can hit at any distance...one of the classic long range cartridges ever designed ! Check that clearance area on Midway, I'm surprised sometime what I find on there for nothing compared to normal, who cares if their discolored...if you use 50 cases, buy 50 more...keep the stock up, I don't trust these brass companies for one second..

Might want to try some R33 with the heavies as well. I am getting 3050fps with the 230 target hybrids in a 27" PAC-NOR and .3-.5MOA if I do my part.

Reuben

Ok...here's a ford vs chevy question for everyone?
When your dialing your load in are you doing it at 100 or 200 yards?
I have always did it at 200 yards.
I was curious about the RE33
What ever load I go with has to be able to fit in the magazine or I modify it with a wyatt.
Thank you for all the replies

Always 200 if your range has that distance since many ranges don't have much room. We shoot in the desert where we can shoot up to a mile. I do sight in on a new or remounted scope at 100, but 200 gives me a better idea of what I have for accuracy.

I shoot out in the desert also and can up to a mile away.....only bad thing about where I shoot is I share the space with the military..lol. Its their training area South of Boise.

Ok...here's a ford vs chevy question for everyone?
When your dialing your load in are you doing it at 100 or 200 yards?
I have always did it at 200 yards.
I was curious about the RE33
What ever load I go with has to be able to fit in the magazine or I modify it with a wyatt.
Thank you for all the replies

I have a new RUM built by Kirby Allen we planned on zeroing at 250 with our load and hold
on hair to 400

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.