30 Nosler and 215 gr hybrid?

Wyo220

I am planing a 300 win mag build using a reamer Broz recomended on another site. After reading all of his acheivments with this combination I had my mind made up. I screwed up and looked at the 30 nosler and now have a question. It seems that to get the 215s in the 2900 fps to 3000 fps range with a 26 inch tube in the win mag you have to lean on it with h1000. By the book it seems this would be easily done in the 30 nosler. I live in Wy and have the fortune of hunting from Sept to Dec. This rifle will be a hunt all rifle that will be shot a lot.
So after that ramble why not have a reamer ground for the 215 in a 30 nosler? Thanks in advance for any input or real world info on the 30 nosler.
Thanks
Kyle

I agree with your thoughts, it would be a great combination.

The 230 gr hybrid would also be a good bullet especially if your shots are closer. It would not open as violently. It also has a following. Many of my friends use the 230 gr bullet exclusively for their LR uses from their 300 RUMs. Barbary sheep, elk, coues wt and even a moose.

The Rum velocities range from 2800 to 2950 or so. I would think the 30 Nosler would max out around 2850-2900 fps with this bullet.

I am planing a 300 win mag build using a reamer Broz recomended on another site. After reading all of his acheivments with this combination I had my mind made up. I screwed up and looked at the 30 nosler and now have a question. It seems that to get the 215s in the 2900 fps to 3000 fps range with a 26 inch tube in the win mag you have to lean on it with h1000. By the book it seems this would be easily done in the 30 nosler. I live in Wy and have the fortune of hunting from Sept to Dec. This rifle will be a hunt all rifle that will be shot a lot.
So after that ramble why not have a reamer ground for the 215 in a 30 nosler? Thanks in advance for any input or real world info on the 30 nosler.
Thanks
Kyle

My thoughts exactly. Tagging in.
There seems to be very little information circulating about the 30 Nosler since it was released...

Last year at the Shot Show I talked with Nosler about the 30. They showed me their own loading manual. Their max load was right at or a little below my go to charge for a 300 win. Both with 210 ~ 212 gr bullets and H-1000. So with the 300 win brass of very good quality and strength readily available I lost interest in the Nosler.

Does anyone have case capacity info for both with like brands of brass? So far I have seen little difference in the two chamberings other than one is "new" and one is "Old" But I would live some real world data for the Nosler. I have not even had a case to hold as of yet.

Jeff

This is a case of "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

There is virtually nothing between the 300WM and the 30-Nosler. Bullets seated to the same depth, the same barrel length, same powder and primer.

If it is charged to the same pressure, the only performance difference will be variables from barrel to barrel within 100 fps.

However, there is approximatly 10 grains capacity difference. For Broz, my 308/26-Nosler is more like 12 grains more than a 300WM. That is where the 100fps gain over a 300WM comes from.

If you are pushing max weight bullets like 215s or 230s that 100fps may mean something to you or not.

I can't say for anyone to go one way or another. I can only say for me and I've said it enough.

The 300 will be cheaper to load for with wider selection of brass and factory loads.

I know that did not help your decision process.

Sometimes you should listen to you gunsmith. If it is Broz, go with what he says.

I appreciate all the replies. I have come to the same conclusions that you guys have pointed out. I wish Broz was my gunsmith but I am just trying to mimic his success which he has so graciously shared with all of us. As we all know elk will take a lot of killing so my goal is to build a system to deliver shootable efficient energy that I can shoot enough to be proficient with. I built a .264 win mag off a 700 action that turned out great. I have had great results on mule deer and antelope with it out to 700ish yards with berger 140s. I have been disappointed with its performance on elk. It does the job but not to my satisfaction. I killed a lot of elk with my 300 hh and never had any close calls. So the 300 win mag it is. Now to order a reamer.
Thanks
Kyle

Great Discussion. Could anyone sell me a piece of factory 30 Nosler brass? I would like to conduct a few tests and comparisons, and will be glad to share any data. I have a new 300 build going on. If there is reasonable gains I would surely consider the 30 Nosler.

Thanks
Jeff

Many of the larger 30s are over bore sized and burn a lot of powder. Its been said here "if it ain't ...", I agree 100%. The .300 Win Mag is pretty tough to beat, lots of rifles around and lots of ammo on the shelves.

Jim

We just got a customer build back from the smith chambered in 300 Norma imp. Not a factory chamber because of the improved but in this same class. We will be running our 215g bullet in it, so it will be an interesting comparison as well. Hopefully we will be doing load development in the next few days. If anybody is interested I will post it here.

Steve

Correction....I forgot that the Proof barrel is 9.4" twist so we designed a 200g for it.

Steve

Last edited:
Many of the larger 30s are over bore sized and burn a lot of powder. Its been said here "if it ain't ...", I agree 100%. The .300 Win Mag is pretty tough to beat, lots of rifles around and lots of ammo on the shelves.

Jim

I tend to agree with Jim here. We should always look at efficiency. You can keep hopping them up and running them on the edge of destruction. If you go too far you end up with the velocity of a weak RUM or weak 30 Lapua with a short barrel life. I guess at some point it would be better to run a soft load in the bigger cases than a hot load in the 300 win or Nosler. I will find some 30 Nosler factory brass so we can compare apples to apples. I will look at actual case capacity of H-1000 with the bullet in the Op's title and first post. Both with optimized seating depths and throat lengths. Then look into what a few more gains of capacity like in the Nosler would possibly offer with slower powders that may need just a little more room. In the end they both would be killing machines with the tried and true 215 Berger.

Jeff

If you don't mind me asking what is the reamer specs you went with? I want to put a 28 inch barrel on my 300 win mag and throat it for 215 Berger's as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.