30 Nosler 215 berger

3100 has been the upper end. N570 or Rl33 along with retumbo andH100 have been alittle slower but very good to temp changes

I worked the 215 Berger pretty hard in a 26 inch barrel and anything above 2850 has slight signs of pressure, swipes, slightly flattened primer and in two cases pierced primers which both resulted in a Jewel trigger being broken and a return trip for some work on them. I ultimately went to the 210 hunting vld instead with awesome results but lots of guys like that 215 target. To me the risk wasnt worth the reward of pushing them harder.

Edit: The N570 will give you the higher velocity you seek but I wouldnt get anywhere near 3100 to be safe.

I just got my 30/28 Nosler and loaded them and tried to find presssure. Ran up to 3116 with no signs of pressure. Haven't got back out to run it tell o hit pressure. I will definitely be in the 3100 node with H1000 fed 215 and 26" barrel. Had about a grain at 3100-3116 spread.

I worked the 215 Berger pretty hard in a 26 inch barrel and anything above 2850 has slight signs of pressure, swipes, slightly flattened primer and in two cases pierced primers which both resulted in a Jewel trigger being broken and a return trip for some work on them.

You might check the freebore length verses the seating depth. We ran into the same problems (pressure, primers, etc) then moved the freebore and the throat forward and got results following along the lines of 3100-3160 fps. without the signs of pressure. Extending just the throat is not the answer. It's usually traceable to the reamer design, not the cartridge itself.

You might check the freebore length verses the seating depth. We ran into the same problems (pressure, primers, etc) then moved the freebore and the throat forward and got results following along the lines of 3100-3160 fps. without the signs of pressure. Extending just the throat is not the answer. It's usually traceable to the reamer design, not the cartridge itself.

Yes, I am very sure that is the issue as others who have had a longer freebore didnt have the same issues. I however didnt see the need to chase that as the 210 gives me excellent results and accuracy so a higher chrono number just wasnt needed in my opinion.

To me the risk wasnt worth the reward of pushing them harder.

Edit: The N570 will give you the higher velocity you seek but I wouldnt get anywhere near 3100 to be safe.

Trying to scare people off from using a particular bullet is not necessary. These are the statements which I was trying to correct with my assessment. There is no reason to write about the safety or risk when the correct freebore and throat are used. It is not an unsafe combination. Your reamer was at fault, not the cartridge or the combination.

Regards.

Trying to scare people off from using a particular bullet is not necessary. These are the statements which I was trying to correct with my assessment. There is no reason to write about the safety or risk when the correct freebore and throat are used. It is not an unsafe combination. Your reamer was at fault, not the cartridge or the combination.

Regards.
Actually, no... the reamer used for my barrel was SAMMI spec, the .02 longer freebore is not the norm so I would assume that most get the SAMMI version I had.

Actually, no... the reamer used for my barrel was SAMMI spec, the .02 longer freebore is not the norm so I would assume that most get the SAMMI version I had.

Not if you understand the relationship between freebore, throat and the shape of the bullet. While you may believe that the SAAMI spec reamer is the correct one to use, be aware that the 215 grain bullet does require a longer freebore. I've just spent the last week going through all of our reamers to make adjustments to the throat and freebore to allow for the current trend of heavier for caliber bullets on all new reamers. This is not done willy-nilly but in a careful, methodical and practical assessment. Choose to believe what you want, I ordered new reamers and I don't have the pressure showing but I do get the advantage of the velocity increase, which in long range shooting is a benefit.

Regards.

Ok guys, calm down. The O.P. was just wanting to know if he could go with a 30 nosler and still get the performance he was wanting from a 300 Norma, probably because the 30 nosler can be built on a standard action, where it is preferred to build the norma on a larger diameter action. I think he has his answer.

30 nosler with proper throating - up to 3100 fps practically.

Most people shooting long range and building a custom rifle will have the throat set to match the type of bullets they want to use, especially the nosler cartridges, which their biggest downfall is their short throat. I am having a .264 win mag built, and the throat will be set for the 156 Berger, when it comes out. If you don't, you will live knowing you probably aren't getting your best performance out of a specific cartridge. That is fine for some people, others its not.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts