30-06 barrel

JesseWayne

Long story short: I picked up another Remington 700 30-06 and looking to rebarrel. I used a local gunsmith for my previous builds and was happy with mediocre results. I am looking to put a 24-26" (insert barrel name here) on her. This is going to be a 600 yard or less gun for deer, elk, mulies, coyotes. I shoot 165 grain bullets of multiple sorts and hand load. So, My question is:
1. Barrel brand? Hopefully you can give me 30-06 experience with this answer.
2. Source to send action to? Hopefully you have experience with gunsmith, company etc...

If I were going to rebarrel a remington M700 right now I'd get the barrel and send it to longrifles inc. for their barreling special that they're running on snipershide. They've got a group buy going and I've had one rifle barreled using it, a 6.5x47 lapua with a bartlein 5R barrel and it shoots amazing well. They've done kind of a production line setup on accurizing M700's using their CNC equipment and the results have been impressive. I've had several custom rifles built and their work is as good as I've seen.

Sniper's Hide - Long-Range Weapons Gear Reviews, Tests and News - Scout Front Page

I concur with the Bartlein 5R recommendation, I have three of them now and all are hammers. You didn't mention the contour but if I were building a hunting rifle for 600 yds or less I'd want to keep the weight down. A Bartlein 2B contour is the same as most #3's and a good compromise between enough weight to shoot well and not too much to make it too heavy to carry. It's a little heavier than the remington magnum profile but not as heavy as their varmint profile, closer to the remington magnum. I'd cut it to 24" at the most, 26" is too long for a comfortable hunting rifle for me and the little velocity gain isn't worth carrying the extra 2" around.

Where I'd differ with FearNoWind is I'd get a 10 twist, there's no reason not to and it'll be able to shoot anything you can put down a .30 bore.

Bartlein Barrel , .308,5R 1:10 Twist, No.2B Contour, 27" - Butch's Reloading

For 165s the 1-11 would be fine but if you ever decide to go with heavies the 1-10 would be my choice. My 1-10 5r TC Venture barrel shoots 165-168 into 1 hole at 100 and does it just as well with 200-210 gr bullets. It just seems more versatile to go with a 1-10...

I can't think of a good reason NOT to go with a 10 twist for a 30-06. I think a fluted #3B contour is a good compromise for a carry rifle. I have that very barrel in a 10 twist 5R waiting to be chambered to .300 Win Mag and fitted to a Mark X action. I can't wait to see what she does!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.