Remington 700, 30-06, Barrel Length

Lovellr653

My first ever deer rifle is Remington 700 SPS chambered in 30-06 I got for my 16th birthday, 16 years ago. It's a functionally fine gun but underwhelming at best. As my firearms collection has grown in quality and size I can't seem to figure out what to do with the '06. I started by getting rid of the factory Tupperware and dropped the rifle into a HS Precision stock and installed a Timney trigger. I still find the gun underwhelming and lacking something. I hunt in upstate NY and shots beyond 200 yards are uncommon for my area and the factory 24" barrel really isn't needed for velocity sake. I am debating on having the barrel cut down 4" so it's a bit handier in the woods and maybe have a muzzle brake installed. Anyone else been in a similar boat and want to weigh in? I kind of feel like I'll just be burning money with this work but at the same time want to enjoy taking the rifle for walk now and then. I'm also open to gun smith recommendations.

My first ever deer rifle is Remington 700 SPS chambered in 30-06 I got for my 16th birthday, 16 years ago. It's a functionally fine gun but underwhelming at best. As my firearms collection has grown in quality and size I can't seem to figure out what to do with the '06. I started by getting rid of the factory Tupperware and dropped the rifle into a HS Precision stock and installed a Timney trigger. I still find the gun underwhelming and lacking something. I hunt in upstate NY and shots beyond 200 yards are uncommon for my area and the factory 24" barrel really isn't needed for velocity sake. I am debating on having the barrel cut down 4" so it's a bit handier in the woods and maybe have a muzzle brake installed. Anyone else been in a similar boat and want to weigh in? I kind of feel like I'll just be burning money with this work but at the same time want to enjoy taking the rifle for walk now and then. I'm also open to gun smith recommendations.

I've always had a hard time losing velocity by chopping the barrel down, handy is nice but your area will dictate what your need 200 yds? Yeah, you don't need a 24" barrel and think about it like this, whatever you chop it to, is still gonna hit harder than a 308 with a litte longer barrel.

me? I'd chop it to 20" and put a break on it. That PVA Backcountry is a great brake for that

I've always had a hard time losing velocity by chopping the barrel down, handy is nice but your area will dictate what your need 200 yds? Yeah, you don't need a 24" barrel and think about it like this, whatever you chop it to, is still gonna hit harder than a 308 with a litte longer barrel.

me? I'd chop it to 20" and put a break on it. That PVA Backcountry is a great brake for that
I like the way you think.

If the barrel sucks... you're just burning money. Put an aftermarket barrel on it and be happy. Even a remage will treat you better than your current setup.
May even consider a different cartridge like a 6.5 RPM or 25.06. Or go heavier like a 35 Whelen.
Barrel shoots true and consistent, If I were to get a new barrel I'd be tempted to get a new action to go with it and the whole project becomes something it's not meant to be. I did debate re-barreling to a 280AI for a short while. With limited reloading supplies now is not the time for me to take on another cartridge. 35 Whelen would be a nice addition though...

If the barrel sucks... you're just burning money. Put an aftermarket barrel on it and be happy. Even a remage will treat you better than your current setup.
May even consider a different cartridge like a 6.5 RPM or 25.06. Or go heavier like a 35 Whelen.
Could chop to 18 or 20" 1:8T and rechamber in a .270. Run some light solids on it and it's gonna recoil a lot nicer and still be more than what you need flat you're going.

Barrel shoots true and consistent, If I were to get a new barrel I'd be tempted to get a new action to go with it and the whole project becomes something it's not meant to be. I did debate re-barreling to a 280AI for a short while. With limited reloading supplies now is not the time for me to take on another cartridge. 35 Whelen would be a nice addition though...

Oh well if that's the case, then chop it and run it. I ran a Remington Varmint barre on my 308 For years and it's shot every bit a good as the others. .3's -.4's all Day

Only downfall is it's gonna be loud! But it's worth it to have a handy rifle.

can you run supressed where you're at?

Oh well if that's the case, then chop it and run it. I ran a Remington Varmint barre on my 308 For years and it's shot every bit a good as the others. .3's -.4's all Day

Only downfall is it's gonna be loud! But it's worth it to have a handy rifle.

can you run supressed where you're at?
I wish! Unfortunately suppressors are illegal in NY. I'm readily getting .7-.8 groups with my 150gr TTSX hand loads which again for deer inside 200yds it's plenty good. The shorter barrel and a brake will for sure be loud. I bring ear pro but I forget about it 75% of the time or the circumstance doesn't allow enough time for me to get them in. Maybe my walker's muffs would be the ticket.

I wish! Unfortunately suppressors are illegal in NY. I'm readily getting .7-.8 groups with my 150gr TTSX hand loads which again for deer inside 200yds it's plenty good. The shorter barrel and a brake will for sure be loud. I bring ear pro but I forget about it 75% of the time or the circumstance doesn't allow enough time for me to get them in. Maybe my walker's muffs would be the ticket.

that was my plan with my M70 270. To rechamber in a 20" 30-06 But decided to keep it 270 and still chop the barrel down. It'll be loud but it'll also be a nice carrying rifle

The gun I typically hunt with in the thick woods is a 30-06 with a 22 inch barrel

its a Winchester feather light with a wooden stock that has been bedded and piller added. It's very light and short.
I like it for the short barrel and being light. im pushing a 180 gr bullet .5 Moa at hundred yards with RL26 at 2800 fps

what I'm getting at is being short, light, hits hard and can operate In Dense woods with ease Makes it nice.

I was in your shoes at one time. One of my first rifles was a 30-06 Rem 700 ADL wood stock. Shot it for a long time and killed lots of deer and pigs with it. Made a mistake and sold it for a LR 308 set up. Then shortly after I regretted it and bought another one just like it. But i felt like it was missing something. I rarely shot game past 500 yards with it and decided the 24" Bbl was not needed for the shorter ranges. I had the barrel cut down to 16.5" and now it's one of my favorite rifles, very light and handy, and makes a great truck gun with a lot of knock down power for big boars. Short range stuff like rattling bucks in or shooting hogs down in the creek bottom I shoot factory Rem cor lokts 125gr. If I want to shoot game out 400-500 yards I shoot 215 bergers at 2580fps with RL17. Also bang steel at 700-800 yards.
If your shooting deer at 200 yards or less in the woods I would just cut it to 16.5", even at 20" you only gain 150-200fps from 16.5" which will make no difference at ranges that short. As far as it being louder you won't be able to tell any difference. Guns are loud, if your not wearing ear plugs your ears will be damaged and ring regardless if the barrel is 24" or 16".

Last edited:
I was in your shoes at one time. One of my first rifles was a 30-06 Rem 700 ADL wood stock. Shot it for a long time and killed lots of deer and pigs with it. Made a mistake and sold it for a LR 308 set up. Then shortly after I regretted it and bought another one just like it. But i felt like it was missing something. I rarely shot game past 500 yards with it and decided the 24" Bbl was not needed for the shorter ranges. I had the barrel cut down to 16.5" and now it's one of my favorite rifles, very light and handy, and makes a great truck gun with a lot of knock down power for big boars. Short range stuff like rattling bucks in or shooting hogs down in the creek bottom I shoot factory Rem cor lokts 125gr. If I want to shoot game out 400-500 yards I shoot 215 bergers at 2580fps with RL17. Also bang steel at 700-800 yards.
If your shooting deer at 200 yards or less in the woods I would just cut it to 16.5", even at 20" you only gain 150fps from 16.5" which will make no difference at ranges that short. As far as it being louder you won't be able to tell any difference. Guns are loud, if your not wearing ear plugs your ears will be damaged and ring regardless if the barrel is 24" or 16".
Awesome information, thank you! The real world experience is priceless. 16.5" is shorter than I had thought of but it has peaked my interest. I will be breaking out the tape measure tonight get an idea of how short that really is on a LA bolt gun. Did you put a muzzle brake on yours?

No I had planned on threading it for my suppressor but this barrel is .040" off center so it can't be threaded! I did buy another 24" factory 30-06 Bbl for it though. Going to send it in and have it cut to 16.5" also, and getting it threaded for the can. Recoil is not bad with the 125s. The 215s have quite a bit more recoil but with a limb saver recoil pad in hunting situations where just shooting one shot you don't even notice it. The rifle is right around 7lbs with Talley rings and a leupold VX3 2-8x32 ultra lite. Also put a spare jewel trigger I had on it. With a 1pd trigger pull it is great for off hand/ running shots.