Remington 700, 30-06, Barrel Length

I've been shooting a full custom 3006 lightweight mountain rifle for several years. 22" Bartlein #3 no brake. Borden action, McMillan edge, swaro Z6i 1.7-10. 7lbs total. Stupid accurate though I still hunt dense timber and my longest shot has been 80yds.

Shortening a barrel too much can cause a rifle to be rear heavy which can wreck point and quick shots. I've had shorter barrels but I think 22 is fine for thick cover.

Being from NJ ,I have also hunted NY State. I have generally been in locations in Liberty and Roscoe and Deposit where many shots are between 50 and 80 yards. It was like that in Maine as well. Thick woods, close in shots at moving deer. So I bought what I think of as a "Woods Rifle " about 40 Years ago. Its an Interarm 98 Mauser Action with a 20 inch barrel, in a Manlicher ( spelling) stock, chambered in 30-06 . That rifle has a Leupold VX 3 1.5X to 5X scope with a 30mm Maine tube. I also Had a Browning BLR with the 20 inch pencil barrel chambered in 308 . I sold that BLR to get my Weatherby Ultralight Rifle in 270 Win. For me 99% of the time its the Ultralight in .270 Win with the 24 inch Fluted Stainless barrel, but if I get invited to hunt NY State Property, then I dust off the Inter arms in 06. You may wish to consider buying a barrel ( Ex; Hart; Shilen ;Krieger ;Remington) in the same taper as the current Remington barrel , cut and crowned at 21 or 22 inches long, chambered in 06. You can pick the twist you want. Then have that barrel installed , BUT KEEP YOUR original barrel just in case some time you decide you may hunt somewhere where the range would make use of the 24 inch barrel. If you decide a Wyoming or Colorado Mule Deer/Elk Hunt for next year is on, your gunsmith will switch the barrels for you. You can make great hunting loads for each barrel. Just a thought!!

Recent Posts