30-06 wont chamber

jpbaker

Went out to check zero on my rifle this afternoon befor I went to my bear stand.

I put a shell in the action, and threw the bolt ahead, but it wouldn't chamber the round????? not sure why, the bolt is about 1/8th of an inch from being all the way forward.

Not sure what the issue is. I used the rifle alot last year with no issues.

It is factory ammo, and I tried a couple different brands, both with same result.

So the question,

WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON??????? Head spacing screwed? How do I fix it?

Last edited:
What brand of rifle is it? Have you taken the action out of the stock recently? I have seen more than a few times someone really torquing down the screws on a Rem700 and having threads poke thru the action holes. This will stop the bolt from closing all the way. Also did you by chance put new bases on the rifle? Some actions use different length screws to keep them from being to deep when tightened.

Yeah, the stock has been off a bit lately (opened forend, and bedded it.) Its a Savage edge

However, torqueing the screws is not the problem, because it still does it when the stock is off, and also, if I take the bolt out and drop a shell in, apply some pressure with my fingers, it wont go in all the way aout 1/8th of an inch out.

So im thinking is dont have anything to do with the bolt....

did you take the scope base off? on the 110 series you can get the screws mixed up from front to rear and you cant shut your bolt.

+1 on Scope BAse screws.

I think that's a good hypothesis. The way to check that is to see if it will close on an empty chamber. If it does, it isn't scope screws, though I've had them do this to me, the front action screw can do it too.

I ruled out the action screw since he said he tried it with the receiver out of the stock which would mean no action screw installed.

Fitch

It closes fine on an empty chamber, and the chamber appears to be clean as a whisle.....and, nope no cleaning patch :D.

OK. Will it close on a Go-Gage?

Fitch

Not sure what a Go Gage is. But, is it possible that some bedding compound did get into the chamber. It appears to be clean. However with the edge/axis the recoil lug is bedded into the stock, and the barrel nut is notched for the recoil lug, and the barrel threads are visible. So im wondering if compound found its way into the chamber somehow....

Like I said it appears clean, but....now im starting to wonder.....

TKS
JPB

Not sure what a Go Gage is. But, is it possible that some bedding compound did get into the chamber. It appears to be clean. However with the edge/axis the recoil lug is bedded into the stock, and the barrel nut is notched for the recoil lug, and the barrel threads are visible. So im wondering if compound found its way into the chamber somehow....

Like I said it appears clean, but....now im starting to wonder.....

TKS
JPB

Barrel nuts are seldom notched for recoil lugs. Something is either not right or you aren't understanding what you are looking at. Is this a Savage? If so, you may have a simple resolution but you will need a go-gage.

A Go-Gage is the gage used by a gunsmith to determine if the chamber is the proper depth. If the chamber is too shallow, headspacing too short, you would have the symptoms you are experiencing.

Headspace gages come in two flavors for the .30-06. The Go Gage which should fit in the chamber with the bolt closed, a No-Go gage which is a few thousandts longer and shouldn't fit in the chamber with the bolt closed.

The Go-Gage is a precision ground solid steel gage that is inserted in the chamber like a cartridge. They are not expensive. This one should tell you if the chamber is undersize or not, and it's in stock: PTG Headspace Go Gage 30-06 Springfield, 25-06 Remington, 270 Winchester, 8mm-06 Springfield, 338-06 A-Square, 35 Whelen - MidwayUSA

When the obvious mechanical possibilities are exhausted, an undersized chamber has to be ruled out, especially when the problem happens with factory ammo. The Go-Gage is the tool that will give you that answer.

Fitch

Barrel nuts are seldom notched for recoil lugs. Something is either not right or you aren't understanding what you are looking at. Is this a Savage?

Fitch

Well im pretty sure what im looking at, and I understand that this recoil lug system is specific to the Savage edge/axis.

And Im sorry, its the receiver that is notched not the barrel nut.

There are some pics of what im talking about in this review:
Savage Edge Rifle Review | Big Game Hunt

I got a go gage ordered as well, sounds like it might be needed :D.

TKS
JPB

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.