Barrel diameter at crown for rem 700 sps .30-06

Timbersquatch

So I'm looking to install the Apa little bastard muzzle brake on my rem 700 sps 30-06. A local gunsmith said it requires 5/8x24 thread and my barrel needs to be at least .700. Does anyone know what the crown barrel diameter is for this rifle? I dont have access to a caliper, otherwise I would measure it myself.

Does anyone know what the crown barrel diameter is for this rifle?
Use a common measuring tape. If the diameter is just a red hair over 11/16" (0.6875), it's 0.700 inches. If the muzzle diameter is 11/16-plus, you can still use your intended device because 5/8" = 0.625 inches. You'll still have 1/16" of OD within which to work...

Last edited:
Don't forget the 9/16 thread size in between the 5/8 and 1/2"
That is true. You could get a 1/2-28UNF device and open it up to 9/16-UNF (whatever is the pitch), then cut the same thread onto your barrel. Might be the lengthy and expensive way to go but if you want that particular device, go for it...

That is true. You could get a 1/2-28UNF device and open it up to 9/16-UNF (whatever is the pitch), then cut the same thread onto your barrel. Might be the lengthy and expensive way to go but if you want that particular device, go for it...
plenty of 9/16 muzzle devices are sold already--its a fairly common thread pitch, why mess with machining a 1/2" one?

I always try to use the largest thread size the muzzle Dia will allow. On some rem factory barrels you can run a 9/16x24tpi muzzle brake with no issues. If its the pencil thin barrel your stuck with 1/2x28.

also if your not worried about it blending in then you can thread it as large as the OD of the muzzle will allow with no shoulder and use a 2 piece nut system brake like a lot of the muzzle brake manufactures are making these days. I personally don't care for those since I do all my own work and like them blended in seamless.

plenty of 9/16 muzzle devices are sold already--its a fairly common thread pitch, why mess with machining a 1/2" one?
I've never heard of a 9/16" device. Not saying there is no such thing, just that I've never seen one advertised. Would certainly create more opportunities for devices on barrels other than 0.700" in diameter. Just another example of free-market capitalism meeting the buying demands of consumers...

I've never heard of a 9/16" device. Not saying there is no such thing, just that I've never seen one advertised. Would certainly create more opportunities for devices on barrels other than 0.700" in diameter. Just another example of free-market capitalism meeting the buying demands of consumers...
Google 9/16" muzzle brake or flash hider--- the internet is a good thing sometimes when used to it's full potential

https://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/muzzle-brakes
I just bought a 9/16-32 radial brake from Harrells for my Remington 700 in .270. I threaded the barrel and blended in the brake. I'm pretty sure the barrel was around .680". I bought a thread protector too, last pic.
JWsbH7.jpg

3oaADh.jpg

AxwYkV.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.