280 Rem to 280 AI... is it worth it?

I was devoted to the standard 280 for 20 plus years. 5 years ago I transitioned to the .280 Ackley and couldn't be happier since I hand load. Difference is minor until you hand load. I don't think it's necessary until you start shooting out to 400 plus yards. I love my 280 Ackleys. It falls a little short on ballistics to the 7 mag but uses a lot less powder and less recoil. Either way, it's good but you'll be happy with Ackley

Look at it this way - with the .280AI you can still shoot regular .280 Rem ammo & .280AI ammo, so you aren't giving up anything. All you lose is the money it takes to make the conversion. But realistically, are you going to be able to do anything "new" with the AI you can't already do with the reg .280? Probably not. Best time to AI is when you are having to rebarrel anyway.

I rebarreled a savage 110 with a carbon six 24" barrel. Its bedded into a B&C duramaxx stock and shoots tiny groups. This weekend I shot my smallest group ever at 700yds 2.75". The rifle was originally a 25-06 and I have experienced no feeding issues. I'm shooting the 160 accubond with RL23 and a Fed215M primer in nosler brass. I will say that my rifle showed pressure way low on powder and even without pressure signs is shooting very high velocity. I have absolutely no regrets with the re-barrel.

The .280AI offers about ~7.5% more powder capacity over the .280 Rem.

This yields not quite a 2% increase in velocity, all other things equal.

So, more like 75fps difference between the two...

Quality brass options (Peterson), and less trimming (due to the steeper shoulder angle) are also on the table with the AI, but in my experience velocity gains are not quite what some suggest.
^This

Mind if I chime in? I'm planning on doing the same thing to my 260. I have already AI'ed my 243, 250 Savage, and 25:06. I've had varying degrees of velocity increase (the 250 saw the most) but the best advantage came in increased case life with little case trimming required. And I experienced NO feeding problems with any of the conversions. It was definitely worth the minimal expense required (about $125). Plus, I really like the look of the AI case.

Very True FEENIX! It's fun to think about and get other shooters input! Thanks for yours!!! :>) DD62
I originally going to build a .280 AI but went with .270 AI instead. Yes, it is worth it for me. Velocity gain is not the only advantage of an AI. The ability to shoot factory ammo and the reduction of case stretching is sometimes overlooked as advantages.

Thinking about converting my Mauser Mark X in 280 Rem. to 280 AI. How many of you guys have done that? Is the conversion worth it? Looking for the pros and cons... Thanks! DesertDweller62
1. I have
2. Yes
3. Pros: It shoots Std 280 ammo accurately.
Cons: I have not found one yet, but it's still early

I hope you find this link helpful and not boring. I stopped fireforming shortly after I started, seemed wasteful.

Also, consider the existing twist rate in the 280 barrel. Regardless of speed gains, heavier cup and core and copper bullets will need a faster twist. So, as mentioned above, what are your intended ranges and quarry you are pursuing?
An 8 to 8.5 twist will open up bullet choices quite a bit if you're handloading.

Well I have had standard 280 rem and I now have a 280AI and no animal has been able to tell the difference. So in hunting rifle terms there isn't a meaningful gain, how the rifle is designed will have more influence than if its an AI or not.

As listed above there are small advantages to the 280AI. Brass is more available in 280AI than the standard now a days.

I've always liked the COOL points of having an AI and that's the real reason I have one today over the standard.

Well I have had standard 280 rem and I now have a 280AI and no animal has been able to tell the difference. So in hunting rifle terms there isn't a meaningful gain, how the rifle is designed will have more influence than if its an AI or not.

As listed above there are small advantages to the 280AI. Brass is more available in 280AI than the standard now a days.

I've always liked the COOL points of having an AI and that's the real reason I have one today over the standard.

I have a standard 280, and when looking for factory-loaded ammo, all I ever saw on the shelves was 280 AI. The 280 has never been as popular as the 270 or the 30-06, and didn't do very well in the market even before the 280 AI hit the scene. Now it is really losing ground to the newer cartridge. If/when the current shortage abates, I doubt that we'll see much change for the 280. It's a great cartridge, but if I were going to buy or build one today it would bet the AI. It would also have a 24" barrel, to take full advantage of the extra case volume. In the 22" barrel that was originally mentioned here, the velocity gain would be minimal. 26" wouldn't be a bad idea, if you don't mind the extra length, but I have found 24" to be more comfortable.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.