N570 Is It Worth It?

• Thread starter Deleted member 25294
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25294

I have a chance to pick up a pile of N570 for use in a 300 Norma Mag.
There's a couple of things I'd like to know about it before I switch from H1000.
1. Is it temp stable, compared to H1000?
2. Will barrel life suffer with this high energy powder compared to H1000?

In my opinion, it is worth it if you want about 75' more velocity at the same pressure as H1000. Ive heard its hard on barrels, but that I dont know personally. As far as temp stability goes, it seems to be very good. I recently shot some loads at 70 and 35 degrees and they were virtually the same.
It also gives great accuracy and low es.

Last edited:
It will obtain higher velocity at a given pressure. There is no guarantee that if you loaded for optimal accuracy with both powders that the N570 will be faster. It will theoretically eat a throat faster. It may cost you 100 rounds of barrel life? It is a very difficult thing to actually compare. Worth is up to you. If you do decide to use it I would commit to one complete barrel and buy enough powder to do so.

With a standard 300 Norma and 230's you find best accuracy around 2930-2950 with a 26" barrel. Retumbo and H1000 would be fine for this. I have done exactly what your thinking but for a 28 Nosler. Now I build rifles based on if H1000 will work. I agree that if you do it, buy enough for the barrel and run it. The flame temp is hotter than H1000. So throat erosion is more with N570. I just bought 32 lbs of H1000 the same week N570 came into town. It works so good in everything I have tried.

I sold all mine because of throat erosion and severe fire cracking from 200 rds fired in my 6.5 Sherman. I've gone back to Retumbo. This was in a melonited 3b Bartlein. I was warned about the high burn temperature of the
N-570, but had to learn the hard way.

With a standard 300 Norma and 230's you find best accuracy around 2930-2950 with a 26" barrel. Retumbo and H1000 would be fine for this. I have done exactly what your thinking but for a 28 Nosler. Now I build rifles based on if H1000 will work. I agree that if you do it, buy enough for the barrel and run it. The flame temp is hotter than H1000. So throat erosion is more with N570. I just bought 32 lbs of H1000 the same week N570 came into town. It works so good in everything I have tried.
Yeah I'm a huge fan of H1000, I just thought I'd see if I could pick up 100 Fps without frying my barrel..

I sold all mine because of throat erosion and severe fire cracking from 200 rds fired in my 6.5 Sherman. I've gone back to Retumbo. This was in a melonited 3b Bartlein. I was warned about the high burn temperature of the
N-570, but had to learn the hard way.
Thanks that's what I'm afraid of..
Really bummed to hear this

I did put 1600 rounds through My 30 SM and probably the last 500 were with N570. The barrel still shot great. it was a nitrided barrel though.
i iust remembered that I had a Canadian client put 1700 through a 6.5 ss ss with mostly N570

Is this common with all of the Vhit powders? I have a buddy that just bought some Vhit powder and I would like to have more info on using it.

I have a chance to pick up a pile of N570 for use in a 300 Norma Mag.
There's a couple of things I'd like to know about it before I switch from H1000.
1. Is it temp stable, compared to H1000?
2. Will barrel life suffer with this high energy powder compared to H1000?
Barrel life certainly will be less for N-570. You may try RL-33 if you don't like the dirtier H-1000

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.