N570 Is It Worth It?

• Thread starter Deleted member 25294
  • Start date
I have my own opinion about N 570 and like everything about it except the price.

I have several wild cats that It realy improved the performance of in both velocity and accuracy. I limit my pressure to 63,000 psi in all of my loads and N 570 normally gets me more velocity at the same pressures
which is the reason why I wildcat cartridges in the first place. (More slow burning powder and more velocity at the same pressure.

Barrel throat erosion is related to the shape of the powder grains, the amount being pushed out of the case, and the temperature of the rifle with consecutive shots. (Not allowing it to cool).

Ball powder is said to be less erosive because of it's shape. Most of the powders are tubular and can cause more erosion according to the military.

Some of my wild cats have powder charges ranging from 110 grains
to 145 grains And I haven't seen any faster throat erosion than other magnum cartridges if the rifle is allowed to cool between shots. Big powder charges produce more heat and require fewer consecutive shots because of the BTU input of these large powder charges.

It is great powder and in some cartridges is the best choice. Most powders will become heat sensitive at some point based on the temperature when fired and the amount of the powder charge, so we just have to work up to find out when a particular powder goes critical.

J E CUSTOM

its also double based and im not to sure it would be any easier on barrels?
Absolutely not easy on barrels... at least the 300Rum factory barrel I had. Pretty scary in the borescope!

Add, I shoot cold bore shots only in my hunting rigs.

Well maybe I have issues but I ran a ladder test with h1000 and N570 our of a 300 win mag

78.6 h1000 showed pressure velocity was 3033

81.5 N570 showed pressure (the same at 3033

Pressure I saw was light ejector mark on brass. I enjoyed working with N570 the granule size is 1/10 of a grain every time. My ladder with N570 went from 77.0-81.5. Over 200 FPS difference. Group was 2 inches at 200 as well. Chronograph used was magnetospeed.

I do think I'm going to run it through my 7 mag. The rifle likes retumbo but I get some crazy stuff every now and then. I kind of want to burn my barrel on it quicker because I want a carbon fiber barrel for hunting anyway so minor details.

Shooting 175 and 180s now out of it so might stumble on magic. If not oh well.

I sold all mine because of throat erosion and severe fire cracking from 200 rds fired in my 6.5 Sherman. I've gone back to Retumbo. This was in a melonited 3b Bartlein. I was warned about the high burn temperature of the
N-570, but had to learn the hard way.
How many barrels have you had Melonited? I'm just wondering if melonite is actually giving longer barrel life...in you opinion.

It didn't help on this barrel, but my 7 STW is looking good @ 800+ rds. I won't have anymore nitrided because the barrel has to be broke-in and free of burrs prior to treating. Also all chambering and threading must be completed prior to nitriding. Adds time and price to build.

My opinion is if you don't ever shoot them hot, a good barrel will have roughly same life span, treated or not.

4 barrels total, 2 each for Sherman and 7 STW. Fixing to change barrels on the 6.5, it still shoots pretty good, but groups open at 20-25 rounds and cleaning it is a real PITA. Both rifles are SwitchLugs, so quick and easy to change barrels.

Last edited:
It didn't help on this barrel, but my 7 STW is looking good @ 800+ rds. I won't have anymore nitrided because the barrel has to be broke-in and free of burrs prior to treating. Also all chambering and threading must be completed prior to nitriding. Adds time and price to build.

My opinion is if you don't ever shoot them hot, a good barrel will have roughly same life span, treated or not.

4 barrels total, 2 each for Sherman and 7 STW. Fixing to change barrels on the 6.5, it still shoots pretty good, but groups open at 20-25 rounds and cleaning it is a real PITA. Both rifles are SwitchLugs, so quick and easy to change barrels.
I have had two nitrided at the same time.
A Chrome molly 358 Grant heavy sporter and a SS full Varmint 26 Nosler. Both were broken in prior to treatment and scrubbed after treatment.
The 26 cal bore must have collapsed. Blew primers on starting loads. It shot < .5 moa before. It never shot < 3 moa after. Lost about .100" of lands in 40 rounds. The CM 358 bore shoots slightly better ( .5 moa) than before treatment. Added .5gr to the load and done.

Now I'm scared of getting it done.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.