280 Rem to 280 AI... is it worth it?

DesertDweller62

Thinking about converting my Mauser Mark X in 280 Rem. to 280 AI. How many of you guys have done that? Is the conversion worth it? Looking for the pros and cons... Thanks! DesertDweller62

Ya, just don't want to think myself into problems for minimum gain! Lots of great ammo in 280 AI (Precision Hunter/Nosler) (Not that you can find it now!) With a 22" barrel will the velocity increase be there... or would a 24" barrel be necessary? Questions, Questions and more Questions... DD62

I have 2 friends that have 280 AIs and as I cannot speak to if it is worth it--but it is fun, feeds good--and seems so far to be a dang easy to load and accurate cartridge. I loaded a 165 game changer to 2800 fps and my one friend has killed mid-Asian ibex, mountain goat, caribou, whitetail deer, and about 6 hogs in the last 3 years. He likes it --it in a kimber mountain accent--and it is nice and light.

I just put together a savage 110 LA in 280 AI. I'm shooting 154 AH deadblow out of it at 3145 FPS. It has a 24" IBI and am using H100V and federal 215 primers. Still doing load work up but it should speed up a bit as I only got maybe 30 rounds threw it. Whether it's worth it or not I don't know but I like it. Got a Defiance Tenacity here and waiting for a stock to build another 280 AI.

Thinking about converting my Mauser Mark X in 280 Rem. to 280 AI. How many of you guys have done that? Is the conversion worth it? Looking for the pros and cons... Thanks! DesertDweller62
I didn't do a conversion, I rebarreled a98 to .280ai! I also had a custom 280ai off a Montana 99 action. The Mauser had zero feeding issues and killed my first elk in the neighborhood of 450 yards. The AI cartridges are a proven design I believe. If any one disagrees compare a 22-250ai to the creedmoor cartridges! I believe it falls nicely between the 280 and 7 RM. But then again what the heck do I know. Killed several deer and a crow or 2!

There is no doubt about the effectiveness on game... I have used my 280 for a ton of deer... Just wondering if the possibility of a bit more velocity is worth the time and $$$ to do it. And if there are any downside effects to the conversion. DD62

The .280AI offers about ~7.5% more powder capacity over the .280 Rem.

This yields not quite a 2% increase in velocity, all other things equal.

So, more like 75fps difference between the two...

Quality brass options (Peterson), and less trimming (due to the steeper shoulder angle) are also on the table with the AI, but in my experience velocity gains are not quite what some suggest.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts