28 nosler 180gr ELDm findings

I bet the 9t is helping.

I haven't had an issue with them neither has my friends. I know we have had some issues with the 140 and 147 coming apart.

I did notice the 147's didn't seem to like going over low 3300's. With an 8t ran into the 3400's and it never came back round to grouping.[/QUOTE]

Hell we had the 147s blowing up at 2750 and a few 140s at 2900. I think Hornady had a few bad batches that got out. My current lot of 140s hasn't had any problems.

Sometimes I wonder if fast is worth it. Seems to take considerabley more effort than to hock a loogie into a 6.5cm case and watching it group like there is a tractor beam from the hole to the next rounds. It's annoying

All in all if it's a good load and works accurate speed may no be the answer. A tried and true accurate load is hard to beat. Speed may not be this bullets friend past a certain point for some twist rates.

Not worried about pushing this 28 load except for testing in case there is another speed node I can work with on the upper end. single digit SDs are gonna win in more ways than one over a fast, higher SD load. I've learned to not obsess over one aspect of a load, less headaches for sure. start running comparables with a 100fps faster load over my current set up and the wind drift is minimal---havent' on this particular load but my experience has shown this to be the case. 200fps faster...? now that's something to consider performance wise.

Not worried about pushing this 28 load except for testing in case there is another speed node I can work with on the upper end. single digit SDs are gonna win in more ways than one over a fast, higher SD load. I've learned to not obsess over one aspect of a load, less headaches for sure. start running comparables with a 100fps faster load over my current set up and the wind drift is minimal---havent' on this particular load but my experience has shown this to be the case. 200fps faster...? now that's something to consider performance wise.
In the battle between accuracy and speed, accuracy kills consistently and cleanly.

Hoping to get this thread back up and going. I've had two 28 nosler barrels with saami chambers. Both 8 twist. Was able to get close to 3200 fps with retumbo but lost accuracy. Accuracy was best when backed down to 3050-3080fps. I then tried the 180 eldms in one of my 7mm Rem mags with a 9 twist barrel. Was curious to see if 9 twist would stabilize these bullets. It did! 3/4 in groups so not the greatest but it held 3/4 moa out to 800 yards no problem. In the 7rm they were only going about 2900fps. So.... I came to the conclusion that it does NOT take an 8 twist to stabilize 180 eldm's, especially at 28 nosler speeds. I now have a 9 twist brux on the way and will chamber it in 28. Also going to order a PTG uni throater to add a smidge of freebore and take the 3 degree lead angle down to 1.5 degrees. I'm hoping this will releave some pressure and allow me to get 3150-3250 without putting too much stress on the bullet

My 9 twist Browning really likes them, no stability prpblemp at all. Have tested out to 1125 yards. We shoot mainly around 7000 feet though.

I have shot them a lot in 8 and 9 twist barrels in 7 Saum. My 9 twist with Rl26 runs them close to 3050 with no problems with stability. I think BC is high on them. POI very close to 180 VLD Berger at 1200 yards. Great deer bullet but ditched them for elk. Too fragile. Jackets peel off. Not good !

I have 5 full and 1 partially full boxes of 180m's of the same lot if you want them. 22 bucks a full box and 10 to ship the pile of them.

Just couldn't make them work in 3 different rifles running the top of 3100 to mid 3300's. Under those speeds it was fine.
What is your over all length? They may not like the jump you are giving them. And or try changing primers if you like the velocity but not getting the accuracy you want. A different primer may give you a ignition.

Just chambered a Brux 27" 9 twist in 28 nosler with my saami spec reamer. I have a ptg uni-throater and I plan to throat it specifically for the 180 eldm's. My plan is to seat an eldm in an empty case, where the bearing surface/ boat tail junction is right at the shoulder/ neck junction of the case and use that as a "go guage" of sorts. Then cut the throat .010" at a time antil the bolt will close on my dummy round, then add another .010 to allow some wiggle room to play with seating. I'll hope fully have some results to post in the next week or two. Hoping to get 3250 fps with retumbo or imr 8133. My last two barrels I hit pressure at around 3080fps with retumbo

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.