.338 RUM & 180gr Nosler BT

sniper2, The load I'm using now is .340Wby, 225gr Barnes XXX, Fed GMM215 primers, Norma brass, 90grs of RL19 at 3100fps, bc of .482. Also the load for the 210gr XXX is 92gr of RL22 at 3200fps, bc of .471. How much do these cost? Thank You.

[ QUOTE ]
budlight,
I also took a cow elk just at 406yds this year with the same load and rifle.. She was just as impressed as the deer was.. Problem with that was she went down so fast and so much momentum for that steep of hill that she just rolled ALL the way down.. which made for a fun pack out. but hey its elk hunting so how can I complain /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Did it exit the cow?

Check your email the two bullets are on the way.You can make your own dope card either from the tables or the MOA path I like the MOA quick and easy.I have found these to be
very accurate but field test to get out any glitches.I don't really think there will be any glitches but field testing is a proven method!

budlight,
Yep it sure did exit. It gave classic Barnes XXX performance, small hole going in, jello'd the insides and quarter sized hole exit. I was pretty impressed at that distance. It was a high shoulder hit.

sniper2,
I got the tables you sent. THANKYOU. those are very neat. I'll definately compare the charts with my actual shooting. Those are very nicely done. Did you use a program for that or is that something you created? Very good looking. Thanks again.

Boman - .458 cal 405 grains Barnes - X leaves an exit hole over 4 inches and foamed blood shot 10-12 inches. On sub 800 pound animals.

On an Alaskan brown hunt we loaded up 500 grain. 9'6" Griz walking on all four towards us. At 50 yards chest shot the bullet blew out it's butt cheek on the way out. The smaller bear was only 8 something and shattered it's skull with a back of the head shot.

Anyway after going to Barnes - X bullets. I'm a firm believer in using them in all ultra mag type guns. No core to separate and perfect big X peel back every time

budlight,
That must be a sight to behold, smacking a griz with a 500gr bullet. Wow.. I can only imagine that gun bumps a bit when you pull the trigger.. haha. Sounds like fun to me! Oh how I wish to griz hunt.

I'm gonna give Richard Graves-Wildcat bullets a try. I've been very happy with Barnes X but it never hurts to try something new.

H4831SC looks pretty good, one source lists 99 gr max @ 3443 but accuracy at 95grs @ 3290 but another shows 101gr @3467 and 0.31" group, 100gr (no vel. listed) 1.06" grp. I have seen other powders listed that give more vel. but this is an "Extreme" powder, I am open to suggestions. Group of 0.31" would indicate a potentail for excellent accuracy. I'll just have to pick a couple of powders work up slowly and check accuracy. Comments please.

They are taken from RCBS Load and work pretty good for several of us.If you will look over the different variables and send me a list with your shooting area we can get an even better work up.( temp,altitude ect.)

Hey 4570, another bullet you might consider is the Swift Scirrocco 210gr. It has a BC of .507 which is quite a bit higher than the 180grn BT. I have killed lots of deer at ranges from 25yds to 500+, and one elk at 657yds. They all dropped instantly. I have experimented with the Barnes TS in the 210grn as well although I have not tried them on any game. In my rifle I got better accuracy with the Swift than the Barnes. Not that the Barnes were bad, just not as good as the Swift. I have been using 338-378wby rather than the the 338 rum. My HS Precision 338 rum should be in my hands in about a month /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Good luck and let us know how your experimenting turns out.

I really appreciate all the responses they have certainly been enlightening. I really should have done more research before purchasing the 180 Nosler BT's but I was unaware of this wonderful site and others. Perhaps if the 180 BT,s don't work out I will try some of the fine suggestions you all have made.
Just a note for the "big bore" enthusiast, I too like the big bores and may some day get into the large and powerful but it will have to be "practical" no 577 Tyrannosaurs (although that booger bear is veellly interesting} maybe a 450(?) Lott or Watt - the one that is a FULL length H&H case blown out to .458 - that way I can shoot 458 Win factory if necessary. Wonder if Rem is going to bring out a 450 RUM, 416 RUM, or 470RUM? What can the RUM case be opened up to and still have sufficient shoulder for headspacing? Wow, bet I've opened a can of worms with that.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts