28 Nosler 195 Berger vs. New 180 ELDM

breakshntr

I'm in the middle of building a 28 Nosler and its being throated for the 195 Berger. Just ran a few numbers and it sure looks like the new 180 ELDM just might give the Berger a run for its money as far as on a ballistics calculator. Berger being 3140 with RE33 and the 180 being ?3200fps? with RE33. I'd be interested in hearing about bullet dimensions and what anyone would speculate seating depth, oal and overall performance would be. I know several folks feel the old Amax was a great long range hunting bullet, just thinking and typing here... Might just have to do a bit of playing with the new gun. It's between Retumbo, RE33, and these two projectiles. I know the 175 ELDX loads almost identical to the 195 as far a powder charge and bearing surface goes, can use a similar throated gun.... Need to get to shooting instead of scheming. Would love to see a 185 ELDX sometime soon, just to add some more confusion. Cripes none of this I just typed really makes much sense. I will quit thinking now.

You're going to need a 1:8 twist to shoot those havies I'd think.
Yep. 1:8 is what I have coming. Reason I bring this up is I really would prefer to run Retumbo (temp stability) vs the RE33. Here are my thoughts. Everyone knows that the RE33 produces the very best velocity and great accuracy. We all know the 195 running 3140 with RE33 with the throat configuration I have coming (per Ryan Pierce who is building my gun) is legit. We also know that if Retumbo is used with a 195 that accuracy can also be very good just expect the speed to slip to around 3075 +-. So if I were to run a 180 Eldm with a BC of .796, with Retumbo at 3200??, the Eldm gets the nod on paper by a smidge (.45moa @ 1000yards). This is assuming a loaded round will feed properly and my gun likes a 180 and will shoot well at 3200. Gun will have a Wyatt's box in it. Primary use for this gun is for big mule deer in very open country with shots running 300+ yards, rarely below. The occasional cow elk in similar country will be taken. I shoot all my bull elk with a bow.

Either one will kill a muley at 1000 if the shooter puts the bullet in the correct spot.

I would say you just need to tinker. Heck, that is half the fun of a new rifle anyway. I can say that my 7RM w. 1:8.5" Bartlein prefers the 180 Hybrid and 183 SMK far over the 175 ELD-X and 175 NABLR however. Heck, even a 168 LRX shoots far superior to the two 175s I mentioned.

Given the success Ryan is having with his 28 Nosler builds I would not mess with throat dimensions. I'd have him build your rifle according to his specs and you can be pretty confident it will shoot great with the 195 Berger. I would then try out the load with 180s and Retumbo to see how you like it. Chances are it'll shoot really well.

Given the success Ryan is having with his 28 Nosler builds I would not mess with throat dimensions. I'd have him build your rifle according to his specs and you can be pretty confident it will shoot great with the 195 Berger. I would then try out the load with 180s and Retumbo to see how you like it. Chances are it'll shoot really well.
Yep, more or less the plan. Probably hold off on the eldm and see how the 195s do with the RE33 and Retumbo, I'm sure they will do very well as all of Ryan's builds have. Also sit with fingers cross and hope a 180+ grn ELDx surfaces.

Yep. 1:8 is what I have coming. Reason I bring this up is I really would prefer to run Retumbo (temp stability) vs the RE33. Here are my thoughts. Everyone knows that the RE33 produces the very best velocity and great accuracy. We all know the 195 running 3140 with RE33 with the throat configuration I have coming (per Ryan Pierce who is building my gun) is legit. We also know that if Retumbo is used with a 195 that accuracy can also be very good just expect the speed to slip to around 3075 +-. So if I were to run a 180 Eldm with a BC of .796, with Retumbo at 3200??, the Eldm gets the nod on paper by a smidge (.45moa @ 1000yards). This is assuming a loaded round will feed properly and my gun likes a 180 and will shoot well at 3200. Gun will have a Wyatt's box in it. Primary use for this gun is for big mule deer in very open country with shots running 300+ yards, rarely below. The occasional cow elk in similar country will be taken. I shoot all my bull elk with a bow.
With all that to consider I think you might want to look at RL23 and RL26. Both are giving many of us increased velocity over similar powders but with good temp stability and less pressure. I'd lean towards RL26 to start with.

Any body have any idea what the max case length is for the 28 Nosler. I have one that was throated for the 195's and I can't get a consistent velocity. Next step is neck turning.

Any body have any idea what the max case length is for the 28 Nosler. I have one that was throated for the 195's and I can't get a consistent velocity. Next step is neck turning.
This is just a guess. I have no experience with the 28 Nosler. Maybe also look into N570. I get great velocities with it out of my Sherman and also out of a 22-284.

As Ryan builds all his 28s for the 195s and has did countless hrs of work to get his Reamer and loads to match in his builds, I would stick with the 195s as they are a Out right Hammer.
Now it may or may not shoot the 180s good, but it could be something to try out and see.
But to me the 28 and 195 go hand and hand.

Tagging in. I have a new 28 nosler and am looking for loads with the 195 and retumbo.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.