28 nosler 180gr ELDm findings

25 is very close to 26 but without the modifier that causes pressure and velocity swings. Nosler load data page has both powders listed on the 185. Retumbo is another stable powder if you have any to try.

Hoping to get this thread back up and going. I've had two 28 nosler barrels with saami chambers. Both 8 twist. Was able to get close to 3200 fps with retumbo but lost accuracy. Accuracy was best when backed down to 3050-3080fps. I then tried the 180 eldms in one of my 7mm Rem mags with a 9 twist barrel. Was curious to see if 9 twist would stabilize these bullets. It did! 3/4 in groups so not the greatest but it held 3/4 moa out to 800 yards no problem. In the 7rm they were only going about 2900fps. So.... I came to the conclusion that it does NOT take an 8 twist to stabilize 180 eldm's, especially at 28 nosler speeds. I now have a 9 twist brux on the way and will chamber it in 28. Also going to order a PTG uni throater to add a smidge of freebore and take the 3 degree lead angle down to 1.5 degrees. I'm hoping this will releave some pressure and allow me to get 3150-3250 without putting too much stress on the bullet
You are correct in your assumption, the 180 ELDM do not perform consistently above the mid 3180 fps, I'v had a couple evaporate while shooting a higher node string. Groups were excellent in the 3137 fps, cruising speed in my rifle, which is still pretty stout with a brake. I don't need that much speed with this long bullet, just let the external ballistics do the work. I'm currently using a 26" 1-9 twist.

Last edited:
You are correct in your assumption, the 180 ELDM do not perform consistently above the mid 3180 fps, I'v had a couple evaporate while shooting a higher node string. Groups were excellent in the 3137 fps, cruising speed in my rifle, which is still pretty stout with a brake. I don't need that much speed with this long bullet, just let the external ballistics do the work. I'm currently using a 26" 1-9 twist.
A different accuracy node may possibly be achieved with a monolithic.

For heavy bullets in the 28 "nosler, try imr 8133, Retumbo, and the new vihtavuori n565 & 570 if you can find em.

Did some more workup with 180 ELDM/Retumbo this morning 30 degrees, colder wind chill (Eastern Colorado can be uncomfortable this time of year!). Stepped up the powder and 81.6 grains at an average of 3195 fps with 6.2 SD, 16 ES works for me!

Did some more workup with 180 ELDM/Retumbo this morning 30 degrees, colder wind chill (Eastern Colorado can be uncomfortable this time of year!). Stepped up the powder and 81.6 grains at an average of 3195 fps with 6.2 SD, 16 ES works for me!
Will do a seating depth test to fine tune and proof this load...

Attachments

• 28Nosler 180ELDM Retumbo - Sheet1.pdf
    51.5 KB · Views: 314
I planned on having some data to share... unfortunately I need to cut the chamber a few thousands deeper and add a little more freebore. I will say the PTG uni-throater is an awesome tool! Hopefully I'll have more to share next weekend. Jasonco, do you have a custom chamber/ throat, or a saami spec chamber? If custom, how much freebore? I added cut about an extra .020" in the throat after using my saami reamer. I'm thinking I'll probably cut another .010-.020 after fixing the rest of the chamber this weekend.

I planned on having some data to share... unfortunately I need to cut the chamber a few thousands deeper and add a little more freebore. I will say the PTG uni-throater is an awesome tool! Hopefully I'll have more to share next weekend. Jasonco, do you have a custom chamber/ throat, or a saami spec chamber? If custom, how much freebore? I added cut about an extra .020" in the throat after using my saami reamer. I'm thinking I'll probably cut another .010-.020 after fixing the rest of the chamber this weekend.
Working with a SAMMI, I myself find a SAAMI works out fine for me. This rifle has a .250 lengthened magazine cutout, from when it was a 7STW.

Well i went out today and it started off looking promising. While doing a seating depth ladder test, all groups were slightly under one inch. Picked the best group and for seating depth and then did a ladder test with charge weights. Had a sub 1/2 group with 79.8 gr retumbo. When I loaded five more and shot over the chronograph I had a 40 fps ES and 13 sd. the group opened up as well. The average speed was right at 3100fps. I'm out of eldm's for the moment, going to try the 165 Gamechangers this afternoon. I also have some 168 barnes lrx bullets but I don't have a starting point for the barnes. Can't find data and I know with solid copper bullets you can hit pressure really quick by guessing

Anyone tried the Hornady or Bertram brass yet?! The Nosler is just to soft for the new load of 81.6 gr, I found, got to back it off a grain?!

You know, unless it's a 7-08, 280/280AI, 7WBY, 7RM, etc, and the big 7mm brass is pricey, hard to find or both?! 7STW wasn't hard to make or find, easily made from 8RM, little bit more tedious to make it from 300 Weatherby...UGGHH!

Last edited:
I thought about ordering some hornady. If they would drop the price 10-20 dollars lower than nosler I think they'd make a killing.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.