270wsm

It isn't my baby, just can't bring myself to carry a 7mm :D You have some good 270 WSM stuff too!!!

I shoot a lot of Retumbo, so anything near that like H1000 or 7828 would likely give you some good numbers. I'm going to work out a load or two for H1000 since I bought a few pounds cheap :) I would start out at 62gr of Retumbo and work up, my accuracy load with the 165 is 66gr for 3053fps with very low ES. I used 64gr with the 175's, I can stomp on it harder but don't need to really its sane at the level I'm at and brass life looks like it will be extremely long!

Ya, I try to read em all that concern the ol' 270 wsm, but I don't have much to contribute to this discussion due to lack of experience in the heavyweight bullet department. I just soak it all up like a sponge.:D
P.S. congrats on your L/R Elk whackin'! I'm proud of ya, & jealous too!
Sorry OP, didn't mean to hijack your post.
I'm reading it religiously hoping to add some valuable load info if I ever venture outa my comfort zone (140 Accubonds) but after reading this, I may put up my 300 Wby for an Elk season & try these new .277 Matrix bullets out. Well see.

I don't own a 270 wsm but I am shooting a custom 270 amp 69.5 grains of retumbo 169.5 @ just over 3000 1:9 twist rockcreek. I have some 165 matrix also and I like them, they shoot very close to to 169.5 wildcats
Paul did send me 1/2 of what I wanted a few months back 169.5 .277 about 500 but I would like some more.

Any confirmation of real world BC of the 165gr matrix? Or the 175? Seems like a great combination. Something about the 270 WSM has had me fascinated for a while. But It'd be good to hear what a few of your guys are using to match your drops.
One thing to remember is scope height, makes a huge difference in ballistic computers' outputs!! Make sure you've measured your accurately.

Sorry for the slight thread de-rail but I believe it is in line with what everyone looking at this thread and the OP are interested in.

Any confirmation of real world BC of the 165gr matrix? Or the 175? Seems like a great combination. Something about the 270 WSM has had me fascinated for a while. But It'd be good to hear what a few of your guys are using to match your drops.
One thing to remember is scope height, makes a huge difference in ballistic computers' outputs!! Make sure you've measured your accurately.

Sorry for the slight thread de-rail but I believe it is in line with what everyone looking at this thread and the OP are interested in.

I use .66 and that seems to match up very close to what I get in the field. The static bc of .72 on the Matrix site is definitely NOT what happens in reality.

Oliveralen,

I've shot the 165 Matrix to 1435 yards at 100yrd increments and .650 puts me dead nuts on, talking to several other shooter they are all real close from shooting them and .650-.660 is right with the feed back Marshal has been getting. I can change elevation by 4000ft and make major condition changes and it tracks dead on so I'm going to say its perty dang close. The 175 I've not shot enough of them far enough to be solid on .700 but that what others are running them so it's a good place to start. Scope height is measured with calipers by measuring the scope tube, mount height, and action diameter and did the math so it should be close enough :D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts