270wsm

darrindlh

So gentleman,
I'm putting together a 270wsm for my long range rig. I am going to shoot the 165 matrix or the 169.5 wildcat. I'm leaning towards the wildcat bullets. Do you think that it will be possible to reach 3000 fps out of a 28in barrel? Or do I need to step up in caliber?

Darrin

I do beleive BigNgreen would be the one to talk with. I do beleive he is running them over 3000. I am possably going to be doing the same caliber.

You can definitely get close but good luck getting the bullets. Mine have been on back order for 2 years now. My emails and calls are no longer returned.

Now Marshal at Matrix Ballistics is an A1 character. He is very quick at communicating... even on Sundays.

The bullets perform flawlessly and are readily available.

If you're building go with a 1:9 twist and run the 175s.

Oh man. So the website that I have it says there are 50 boxes left of 100 for 72 dollars. I can add to cart right there. But I could be totally wrong. I think with the 175's I could get 2900. And a bc of .700 that would be an awesome combo.

Darrin

I might have to try and call again. I gave up on them 6 months ago and went with the Matrix bullets. They perform like a Berger on game and hold .28 moa out of my 1:10 Tikka.

I'm pushing the 165s 2850 in a 24" barrel with h1000. Bigngreen uses retumbo and getting 3k with his. I plan on trying that next week.

If the wildcats are available I'm pretty upset at them since my order went in 2 years ago and they have never followed up.

Jman,
So here is the link that has the bullets.

wildcatbullets.myshopify.com

I'm not sure if it is accurate or what. Either way the matrix bullets are amazing and shoot very well. I think that I will just shoot the 165's and then maybe play around with the 175's. How do you like your 270wsm for a long range rig. My opinion is that with these bullets any game in north america can be had with a 270. Is that your assumption?

Darrin

I love my Tikka 270wsm. I have taken deer to 721 yards with it.

The Matrix bullets perform very well on everything I have shot up to an Elk. Last year I had a doe actually take a few steps after being shot which I have never seen with these.

Typically the animal drops in its tracks. After 300 yards, I usually don't have an exit wound which confirms that all the bullet's energy is being passed into the animal.

Vitals turn into jelly.

For a while I was regretting my choice of caliber, but now that I have found a high b.c. 270 bullet that performs amazingly well, I have full confidence in my 270wsm as a long range rig.

Here is a random group I shot Sunday. I wasn't focused on tight groups but was testing the bdc in my scope. Needless to say I won't complain about an "accidental" good group on a windy day :D

2011-11-27_16-12-26_711.jpg

2011-11-27_16-12-26_711.,jpg

I don't know what has happened to Paul at Wildcat bullets, don't count on the 169.5's unless you can go to the door step and pick them up.

That said you shouldn't have any issues with the 165 and shooting over 3000fps, my 27.5 in barrel tops out over 3100 with them but the accuracy is at 3053fps, I've shoot some of the 175's out and I was able to run them comfortably at 3014 fps. I would twist it up in a 1-9 so you can run the 175's or the 165's!!

Between me and my buddies we took a pile of elk and deer from 85yards to 865 yards and I have never hunted with a bullet and chambering combo this excellent for an over all set up!! I shot a couple small white tail does a couple nights ago at 200ish yards to see how they did on light game and they opened nicely and blew the life right out of them, very similar performance across the range of game we took from light to heavy animals!!

Stepping up a caliber would be a step down gun):D

Well, gentlemen, you've given me a new interest in shooting my .270 WSM some more. To be honest, I had put it aside because it seemed to snap me more than my .30-'06. I've got a Browning A-bolt with a Burris 3x-9x and have developed loads for 110 Hornady for coyotes that group at .5" at 100 yards from a rest. I've also loaded up some Hornady 130's and 140's that will group around the same so I've been impressed with the accuracy of the gun and load. I really didn't think I could expect much going over the 140 weight but you guys have encouraged me to look into some new combinations at higher weight. I'm using Varget and 7828 SSC. What powder would you recommend at the higher bullet weights to produce results but not push the pressure limits. I tend to be conservative when I'm reloading (go figure!)

Thanks!

I would look at retumbo. With that said I hope bigNgreen steps in here. Im not sure on starting loadbut I know slower powders are the ticket. Hope this helps. Im going to contact matrix bullets and ask some load data questions.

Darrin

I would look at retumbo. With that said I hope bigNgreen steps in here. Im not sure on starting loadbut I know slower powders are the ticket. Hope this helps. Im going to contact matrix bullets and ask some load data questions.

Darrin
He did. Read post # 9. He doesn't miss much when his baby is brought up in a discussion:D

He did. Read post # 9. He doesn't miss much when his baby is brought up in a discussion:D

It isn't my baby, just can't bring myself to carry a 7mm :D You have some good 270 WSM stuff too!!!

I shoot a lot of Retumbo, so anything near that like H1000 or 7828 would likely give you some good numbers. I'm going to work out a load or two for H1000 since I bought a few pounds cheap :) I would start out at 62gr of Retumbo and work up, my accuracy load with the 165 is 66gr for 3053fps with very low ES. I used 64gr with the 175's, I can stomp on it harder but don't need to really its sane at the level I'm at and brass life looks like it will be extremely long!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.