270WSM length

feelinducky

I'm putting a new tube on my 270WSM and have a couple of questions I hope you guys can help with.

It will be a hunting rig and I would like to shoot it out to 700yds. I plan an shooting the 140g berger VLD Huntng, until the laws in California change to copper only in a couple of years then I'll have to go over to Barnes or Cutting Edge. Should I stay with a 24" tube or go out a little longer to 26"? Do you think I should go any faster than a 1-10 twist?

Thanks

Marking this. Curious to see what kinda answers you get. I would think that a 1-9 twist would be handy in case you decide to venture in to heavier lead down the road since you plan on going out to 700. I would also go with a 26" barrel to get all the velocity I could even if it was only 50-60 more fps. Why settle for less unless youre wanting to keep it as light as possible for packing but thats just me.

If I was in California, which almost makes me ill, I would twist to an 8 twist and shoot Matrix 165's till it changes then I would go to the heaviest Cutting Edge bullet which I think is 160.

Out of California just run a 9 twist and run the Matrix 165 and enjoy!!

My rifle is a Rem 700 SA. I don't know if those longer bullets can be seated out far enough. I'm having a Wyatts extended box installed which is supposed to add some length. As far as an extra 2" in length I'm not worried about the weight, but the balance of the rifle. I'm getting a Bartlein #3 contour. How will I know before hand if it will be end heavy?

Some body else may chime in with 1st hand experience but a Bartlein #3 contour will weigh 3.5lbs at 26 inches. I don't think 2 inches would make much of a difference in weight.*A 28 incher might with a difference of 4 inches as far as tipping the scale on the business end of the barrel. You could go with a 2"B"which is a medium heavy sporter and it would weigh 3.2lbs at 26 inches. Ive owned several medium heavys and they all shot well. They seem to be a nice compromise to help with accuracy without getting to heavy.

I shoot a kimber 270wsm select grade 130gr bergers at 3494fps out of a 24 inch barrel with 76.2 gr magpro don't wana shoot a deer within 50yds I blew the back hind quarter too hell I was shooting through some brush which deflected the bullet some I felt bad for the deer. There wasn't a steak to salvage off the whole hindquarter. Long range groups awesome 100yds 0.293 3shot group. So what I'm saying is the short mags don't always benefit from a longer barrel I've seen some 26 inch that won't get what I am.

Don't need a 1/9 twist when u can up the velocity to stabilize longer bullets I shoot 150gr berger vld. @ 3236fps 24 inch. Barrel 165 matrix shoot good to cause magpro powder really works. Nice groups outa themto

3236 with a 150 Berger. That is more than 200fps over book.

I went ahead and ordered a 1-10 to finish at 24". It sounded like there were tooling up to run .277 barrels in a week so I should be getting it a couple of months.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.