270wsm

Anyone have any experience moose hunting with this calibre. I have shot lots wit 270 win...thinking the wsm should be even better, using 145 grain hornady eldx
Gary, I have both the 270 Win, and the 270 WSM. these are not my choice for moose. I have a 338 Win Mag for that. I normally use a 225 or 250 grain Barnes X (now the TSX slug). The very smallest caliber I would use is the 300 Win Mag with a heavy slug (220 or 240 grain) and a 1:8" twist barrel. I have my friend's 375 H&H that he used for moose with 270 and 300 grain Nosler slugs. I consider Moose a "dangerous game". Dangerous game I use bigger diameter bores, heavier slugs. I have taken Elk with 270 calibers. they are the largest animal on North America I would take with a 270 diameter slug. I personally would use one of these calibers for moose depending on where you are at determines your choice of the following calibers; 45-70, 338 (W/M, RUM, Lapua Mag), 450 Marlin, 444 Marlin, 375 H&H, heavy 300 win mag, 300 RUM, there is one other common caliber I am missing but I just can not think of it right now.
Yea, just my opinion. I love the 270 caliber but not going to put my life on the line to say I killed a moose with a 270 Win or WSM.

Have you ever killed a moose? They aren't ultra tough animals. I think elk are tougher to kill. Sometimes it takes them a while to expire just because they have so much blood for those that wait for them to bleed out. Its not like they are going to take off and run for miles with a lung shot. I think locals use what it takes to kill something. Like being an idahoan and seeing guys from Illinois show up in idaho for an elk hunt with their brand new 338 ultra mags and thinking me and my 25-06 are undergunned for such a bullet proof animal. When you grow up seeing elk killed with 243s and 25-06's or 270's it puts everything into perspective.
You are absolutely correct... there are far too many POPULAR MISCONCEPTIONS and myths about...WOW ARE THEY HARD TO KILL!...All animals die the same way given the same shot placement. Elk, moose, deer no one is tougher to kill some of them just don't know they are dead yet.

Gary, I have both the 270 Win, and the 270 WSM. these are not my choice for moose. I have a 338 Win Mag for that. I normally use a 225 or 250 grain Barnes X (now the TSX slug). The very smallest caliber I would use is the 300 Win Mag with a heavy slug (220 or 240 grain) and a 1:8" twist barrel. I have my friend's 375 H&H that he used for moose with 270 and 300 grain Nosler slugs. I consider Moose a "dangerous game". Dangerous game I use bigger diameter bores, heavier slugs. I have taken Elk with 270 calibers. they are the largest animal on North America I would take with a 270 diameter slug. I personally would use one of these calibers for moose depending on where you are at determines your choice of the following calibers; 45-70, 338 (W/M, RUM, Lapua Mag), 450 Marlin, 444 Marlin, 375 H&H, heavy 300 win mag, 300 RUM, there is one other common caliber I am missing but I just can not think of it right now.
Yea, just my opinion. I love the 270 caliber but not going to put my life on the line to say I killed a moose with a 270 Win or WSM.
He already said he has killed several moose with a 270win. He is just trying to get a feel for the wsm version.

Anyone have any experience moose hunting with this calibre. I have shot lots wit 270 win...thinking the wsm should be even better, using 145 grain hornady eldx
"Never take a knife to a gun fight" Why take a chance on wounding an animal if you have a better option. And I'm sure it aint a cheap tag or hunt. You not only risk loosing the animal, but the cost of the whole hunt. A bull Moose is no joke, and they are tough. IMO.... more gun might be a wise choice.

It is all shot placement.
People also say you have to shoot a 70 lb. Bow and 300+ fps to kill elk.
Tell that to the several Bull Elk I have put in my frezer with a 55# longbow.
270 WSM...

I've got a 270WSM and I asked if the rifle would be adequate for eland; I'm going to Africa for 10 days in October. An Eland will run 1,200-1,800 pounds. The general consensus was that the cartridge was too light. I opted to take my 338 Federal to use. It will work if you've got a perfect shot but if you don't your in for a lot of walking.

A quick question... are there even Grizzlies in NF? I dont think there are any in northern Quebec where we've hunted caribou.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts