270WSM headache

feelinducky

I have a 270 with a 1-10 twist 24" barrel put together by a reputable gun smith. I have been unable to get this thing to shoot better than 2-2.5 inches at 200 yards. The action was trued along with the bolt. However the original bolt was cut too deep and was leaving a ring above the rim. The bolt was replaced with a factory replacement. I do not think the replacement bolt was trued. I had a local gunsmith check the lugs and he said there is very little contact with the lugs.
I'm currently shooting the 129gLRX barnes lrx which is the only bullet I've tried. I live in California so I need to stick with copper. Currently I'm running between 60 and 61g imr4451. I have tried to change charge weights, primers (215m, cci magnum and win lrm's) and depth but can't get this thing to shoot. I have also tried Imr 4350 and h4350 without any difference in group size. Velocity has a pretty big spread ranging from 3100-3300. I ran the bullet stabilization program on the berger website and it is telling me I need a faster twist with the 129gLRX barnes . Will my 1-10 twist rate have an influence on not being able to get the group size down or is the replacement bolt the issue?
Thanks

I finally finished a California load for a friend's 270wsm. Try a 130 ttsx with imr 4350 and rem 9 1/2 mag primer. Work up, and seat bullets off as barnes recommends for starting point. The ogive measurement is important on lrx, this could be throwing you off for overall length in your particular rifle

I have a 270 with a 1-10 twist 24" barrel put together by a reputable gun smith. I have been unable to get this thing to shoot better than 2-2.5 inches at 200 yards. The action was trued along with the bolt. However the original bolt was cut too deep and was leaving a ring above the rim. The bolt was replaced with a factory replacement. I do not think the replacement bolt was trued. I had a local gunsmith check the lugs and he said there is very little contact with the lugs.
I'm currently shooting the 129gLRX barnes lrx which is the only bullet I've tried. I live in California so I need to stick with copper. Currently I'm running between 60 and 61g imr4451. I have tried to change charge weights, primers (215m, cci magnum and win lrm's) and depth but can't get this thing to shoot. I have also tried Imr 4350 and h4350 without any difference in group size. Velocity has a pretty big spread ranging from 3100-3300. I ran the bullet stabilization program on the berger website and it is telling me I need a faster twist with the 129gLRX barnes . Will my 1-10 twist rate have an influence on not being able to get the group size down or is the replacement bolt the issue?
Thanks

Your problem could be one or both. It sounds like the smith verified the bolt needed truing, so I would start there and then change loads if necessary....Rich

Like stated I'd make sure the bolt is contacting the lugs square and solid. Also check headspace. Next try some 130ttsx or contact hammer bullets and see what they have for your 10 twist. Try another bullet that's not as long as the LRX and see what happens.

The lugs are not as square as they should be, I know that for sure. I'm going to some of the 130gTTSX and see if I can get those to shoot. I hope this rifle doesn't need to go back to the smith. If the smith put in a new bolt after the barrel was installed, does he have to reset the headspace or rechamber it?

The lugs are not as square as they should be, I know that for sure. I'm going to some of the 130gTTSX and see if I can get those to shoot. I hope this rifle doesn't need to go back to the smith. If the smith put in a new bolt after the barrel was installed, does he have to reset the headspace or rechamber it?

Headspace should be checked any time there is a change like that. If the lugs are trued, that may also require new head spacing....Rich

I'd suggest you contact Steve at Hammer bullets and get some 126 grain Hammer Hunters to try.

These are the most forgiving bullets I've come across. All .277 Hammer offerings shoot outstanding in the 3 different 270 Wins and 270 WSM I've tested them in.

They are mono copper and have performed well terminally.

Just a suggestion.

When I get home I will measure them but the 129 gr lrx is not a long bullet at all.Mine shoot fine with a 1/10 twist @3150..better than fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.