270win brass?

zr600

I just picked up a bag of 270 win brass made by Winchester. I have used lots of Winchester brass in the past with pretty good luck. But this bag I got has only what I want to say 19 pieces that I would trust to give me good accurate loads and consistent burn. It's all in the flash hole where I'm seeing the issue. It's ablong and has a chamfer or chip out of the edge of the hole. Click on the picture and zoom in and see what you guys think.

Attachments

• B62B6A4C-7116-44EB-8EE8-F2F8DA5CE6D8.jpeg
    B62B6A4C-7116-44EB-8EE8-F2F8DA5CE6D8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 468
I wouldn't worry about it personally. It's not great to see flash holes that have been punched with a broken pin punch, but they're not as bad as some I have seen.
It won't make a difference to how the burn will go, just annoying looking.
I did tests with walnut media stuck in the flash holes of 20 cases and 20 cases that were open, none of them showed a difference over the Pressure Trace nor the chrony.
What does change the burn is what's in the inside of the case, if there are nasty burrs on the inside of the case from the broken pin, removing them will make a difference to how the primer flash enters the case.

Cheers.

I'd be a bit nervous about gas escaping around the primer if they are all like the one in the picture. I'd be wearing safety glasses for sure. Hard to really know in a pic.

I'd be a bit nervous about gas escaping around the primer if they are all like the one in the picture. I'd be wearing safety glasses for sure. Hard to really know in a pic.
Why? What makes you think they would leak?
The primer recess is made when the case head is stamped, the flash hole is punched much later in the process.

Cheers.

Why? What makes you think they would leak?
The primer recess is made when the case head is stamped, the flash hole is punched much later in the process.

Cheers.
Maybe so, but it looked like the flash hole was partially into the recess on the picture, to my old eyes. When the flash hole is reamed it may be fine.

you have to expect this kinda stuff to happen to mass produced brass, especially since 2019. Load it and shoot it, mark the round and see where it is compared to the other rounds on paper. It'll be in the same spot as the others !

Yes, I shoot a lot of Win Brass on my 270 's, and am not impressed by the lack of quality control on the new bags of brass. I separate cases by weight ( Example. 186.0 to 186.4 then 186.5 to 186.9); run all brass through the expander de , then de Burr all the inside of the flash hole on every case, Chamfer and de Burr the necks, then polish out the inside of the necks with a brush on the drill press. Then prime and Load. I have little over 350 cases, some have been loaded 6 times . No issues up till now, thank God!!

I just picked up a bag of 270 win brass made by Winchester. I have used lots of Winchester brass in the past with pretty good luck. But this bag I got has only what I want to say 19 pieces that I would trust to give me good accurate loads and consistent burn. It's all in the flash hole where I'm seeing the issue. It's ablong and has a chamfer or chip out of the edge of the hole. Click on the picture and zoom in and see what you guys think.
Having experienced similar problems with .270 Win brass, I switched to Nosler Premium Brass. Tolerances were: length of all 50 cases +\- .002" and weight +\- .5 grains. Primer holes perfectly formed. Head space was +\- .003".

A while back I had a problem with some Winchester brass, the guy you want to speak with is Jack Wallace <[email protected]> he's the guy in charge of that Dept... Jake is a good guy and will take care of any question you might have without the run-around game. Good luck.

Load 'em up and shoot 'em they will do fine.

I like PPU and Starline brass, both make 270 Winchester

Last edited: