270win loads

I have shot a .270 Win. all my life, and for varmints I shoot the 100 gr. Hornady's. For deer and elk, I very much prefer the 140 gr btsp. Both have shot extremely accurate. I don't know what powder or charge my brother used for the 100 gr. bullets, but they pretty much single holed at 100 yds. I shoot either Hodgdon or IMR 4831 for the 140's. I don't have to load them hot, usually midrange or slightly higher. Never put them through a chrony. They always shot well under an inch. Accuracy has been outstanding for everything. Just lucky I guess.

My brother in law wants me to help him make a varmint load and big game(elk) load for his 270win
Just wondering what everyone kind of liked in their 270s?
I have questions before I answer:
#1, does the gun in question have a 1:10" or 1:9" barrel?
#2, if so, then your big game loads are a bit truncated.

My two-270 Win's love the 90 grain Speer varminters and 60 grains of H-4350.
The same rifles also like 140 grain Nosler Accu-Bond, 140 Grain Barnes, and 140 grain Berger VLD hunters;
Nosler AB: 57.5 (Tikka 695) to 58.0 (Winchester 70) grains of H-4831 SSC
Berger: Win 70- 52.3 grains of H-414/Win 760, Tikka- 54.9 grains of H-4831 SSC
Barnes: Tikka- 54.5 grains of H-4831 SSC, Win- 54.2 grains of H-4350

My two guns do not like the 150 grain class unless you load the powder at starting loads to moderate.

If the gun has a 1:8" or 1:7" twist barrel there are 150 Berger VLD, 160 Berger VLD/Barnes original, 170 Berger VLD hunters to use.

I have questions before I answer:
#1, does the gun in question have a 1:10" or 1:9" barrel?
#2, if so, then your big game loads are a bit truncated.

My two-270 Win's love the 90 grain Speer varminters and 60 grains of H-4350.
The same rifles also like 140 grain Nosler Accu-Bond, 140 Grain Barnes, and 140 grain Berger VLD hunters;
Nosler AB: 57.5 (Tikka 695) to 58.0 (Winchester 70) grains of H-4831 SSC
Berger: Win 70- 52.3 grains of H-414/Win 760, Tikka- 54.9 grains of H-4831 SSC
Barnes: Tikka- 54.5 grains of H-4831 SSC, Win- 54.2 grains of H-4350

My two guns do not like the 150 grain class unless you load the powder at starting loads to moderate.

If the gun has a 1:8" or 1:7" twist barrel there are 150 Berger VLD, 160 Berger VLD/Barnes original, 170 Berger VLD hunters to use.
Not sure what the twist rate is. Hopefully 10 or faster. His uncle a machinist built it for years ago out of spare parts so it'll be interesting to see how it shoots to say the least

When I see posts like this I just figure the OP has no experience with a cartridge, this case the .270 Win. I also figure the OP really isn't looking for load data but a place to start (bullet and powder) that work well for other .270 shooters. IMO this narrows things down alot, especially if multiple people post the same bullet and powder.

Me I simplified my load for the .270 a few years ago, I use a 130 grain bullet and 4831SC powder. If I'm after elk with my .270 I change to a Partition or Mono Metal 130 grain, the rest of the time I shoot cup-n-core cheap bullets for everything else. I might try some RL26 and some 150+ bullets someday, but I have a lot of 4831SC and my system ain't broke.

Thanks for writing this reply to the OP. I get really annoyed when people just up and get judgemental and insensitive with their replies. If you don't like what you are reading, don't bother to open the thread. The last person in the thread who was like this I hit "ignore" in his profile; don't need to read replies like his when someone is looking for some help!

I'm shooting a .270AI so the load data won't work, but the rifle does like the Nosler Ballistic Tip 130gr they are like lasers and the 150gr, Nosler ABLR over Alliant RL19, both very accurate bullets out of my rifle; 1:10 barrel. I like the RL19, it meters well and seems to be very stable. I like the 4831SC and was thinking about giving that powder a try also.

Not sure what the twist rate is. Hopefully 10 or faster. His uncle a machinist built it for years ago out of spare parts so it'll be interesting to see how it shoots to say the least

Before shooting it with live ammo I would take a piece of sized brass and a live primer. shoot it outside, measure the protrusion of the primer. if it is under 0.006" it's safe to shoot. 0.007" to 0.010" it is marginal and your brass will stretch substantially. you should adjust your sizing die to 0.002" under the protrusion to add life to your brass. If it is more than 0.011" and higher it is unsafe to shoot.

But thank you for the pics, I'm not sure how close 4064 is to 2208 but seeing good results convinced me I should use 4064 instead of 4831 for the 90gr and I'll use 4831 with the 140s
I agree on the bell curves,...but agree with never providing a load I've worked up. I will help you or anyone asking for help in our reloading and shooting endeavors. Now to the 4064 I've had very good luck with it.

Last edited:
Before shooting it with live ammo I would take a piece of sized brass and a live primer. shoot it outside, measure the protrusion of the primer. if it is under 0.006" it's safe to shoot. 0.007" to 0.010" it is marginal and your brass will stretch substantially. you should adjust your sizing die to 0.002" under the protrusion to add life to your brass. If it is more than 0.011" and higher it is unsafe to shoot.
He has like 300 brass for it that have been shot through it over the last decade so I'll just measure the shoulder on the brass and bump it a couple thousands

So, I don't ever use my 270 for varmit hunting but 58 grains of superformance and a 145 eldx bullet will shoot the same hole out of my ole ruger m77 270. Many a elk and deer have gone down with this.. 130 grain sst works great with this too... As always work up.. I have gone as high as 63 grains but accuracy and node at 58.

So, I don't ever use my 270 for varmit hunting but 58 grains of superformance and a 145 eldx bullet will shoot the same hole out of my ole ruger m77 270. Many a elk and deer have gone down with this.. 130 grain sst works great with this too... As always work up.. I have gone as high as 63 grains but accuracy and node at 58.
never even considered superformance. The 145eldx and the new tgk intrigued me but decided a bonded bullet might work better for him

Not sure why people don't shoot Superformance more. I get great velocity and good es and sd. the 130 was running 3190 fps, I haven't chrono'd the 145 yet..

I use it because it is temp stable and my 22-250 loves the stuff with a 50 grain for coyotes.
Best part is you can always find this powder.. It isn't ever not found In the stores like some other powders.

Good luck in your workup.

Not sure why people don't shoot Superformance more. I get great velocity and good es and sd. the 130 was running 3190 fps, I haven't chrono'd the 145 yet..

I use it because it is temp stable and my 22-250 loves the stuff with a 50 grain for coyotes.
Best part is you can always find this powder.. It isn't ever not found In the stores like some other powders.

Good luck in your workup.

I'd like to hear what guys have to say about it, too. Not much has been said about it that I've seen or heard. I'm pretty keen on Hodgdon powders, and this one looks promising with the cartridges I load for.

I've had mostly good results with the Superformance loaded ammo. I say "mostly" because a couple boxes of the 30-06 ( 165-grain GMX bullet ) shot tiny little groups and killed likely lightning, but one box shot 6-7" patterns at 100 yards. When I went back to cartridges out of the old box, all was well - three holes all touching each other, just like before. I have no idea what was going on here, but it wasn't the rifle or the scope. I sent an email to Hornady about it on their website, and never heard back from them. I would have thought they'd be interested in this, but such was not the case. I have also used their Precision Hunter line of ammo ( 280 Rem., 150-grain ELD-X bullet ) with excellent results. I don't know what's up with that one errant box of ammo.

From what Hodgdon has on there reloading web site superformance is very good depending on caliber/cartridge/bullet weight combination. In the .270 Win. I like 150gr. bullets as I some times use it on elk and I prefer mid to heavy bullets pre caliber/cartridge. I have ben using IMR 4350 with 150gr. bullets and they shoot very well. I will be trying IMR 7977, should get about another 100fps. I hope it is accurate in my rifles. Hodgdon has no listing of superformance in the .270 Win. with 150gr. bullets.

145 ELD-X because they look cool with the red poly tip.

Winchester Brass because it has a good looking head stamp and doesn't scratch up as easy as Hornady or Federal brass.

CCI-200 Primers because the silver contrasts well with the polished brass for nice bling factor.

IMR 4831 works best for accuracy with all things 3006ish in nature 150ish grain and up for projectile.

Superformance will give you a cool flame from your barrel, louder report, and extra velocity but accuracy won't be as easy to find as it will with the IMR 4831.