270win loads

I shot a .270 for years and only ever shot 140-145gr bullets. I used IMR 4831 and RL23. I shot Hornady 140gr BTSPs and their 140gr SSTs. I used 56.0gr of IMR 4831, work up from 53gr, and they were around 3000fps. I also shot some Sierra 140gr GameKings with RL23, I believe that load was around 57gr and was 3030fps. My last load I worked up was a 145gr ELD-X with 56.3gr of RL23 for an average of 2935fps. I would start 3gr lower than my loads and work your way up in 0.2-0.3gr increments until you find a node. I never shot lighter bullets, there's no advantage other than less recoil and less drop out to a few hundred yards. The 140gr SSTs did a lot of damage to the couple ground hogs I hit them with, and did great on deer.
thanks for sharing

90 grain Sierra's or the Speer TNT are very accurate & will REALLY let the air out of a coyote! As far as big game, the 130, 140 or 150 will work very well. I just ordered a Cooper 270 Win & will be working up black bear loads soon! Killed several mule deer & a few elk with the 130 Sierra GameKing. They work very well.
Thanks, Kirk

My brother in law wants me to help him make a varmint load and big game(elk) load for his 270win
Just wondering what everyone kind of liked in their 270s?
I have Federal Cases, CCI standard primers, 51.1gr 4350 powder, 150gr Nosler Accubond Long Range. Super accurate, and has been dropping whitetails where they stand out to 500 yards. Shooting through a Sig SHR 970. I raise pigs and wanted to see how the load worked on one of those tanks. At 25 yards through the skull and down into vitals. Don't know about the varmint loading though. I don't mix and match that way. I have a separate small caliber for those critters(22-250). I don't feel its a good idea to keep dialing your scope back and forth over and over as you keep switching between loads. Just my 2 cents.

No Im not kidding & I have plenty to say!

I don't get why people even ask for loads from other peoples rifles as it fruitless, even if you use the exact same load in the exact same rifle you will still get a different result as your reloading process, die set up, neck tension, CBTO, different powder & primer batches etc etc etc, it will be different.

So yeh, pointless imo!

You still have to work up a load so what is the point??

I have seen this on forums for 15 years & still shake my head in disbelief on how many people ask the same thing!

This is nothing personal, just my own personal view on the topic, which we are all entitled to so will sign out of this one & wish you the best of luck in working out a load for your brother in law.
View attachment 156437
View attachment 156438
View attachment 156439

If it's so pointless, then why did you post your loads …….. with pictures, no less ???

When I see posts like this I just figure the OP has no experience with a cartridge, this case the .270 Win. I also figure the OP really isn't looking for load data but a place to start (bullet and powder) that work well for other .270 shooters. IMO this narrows things down alot, especially if multiple people post the same bullet and powder.

Me I simplified my load for the .270 a few years ago, I use a 130 grain bullet and 4831SC powder. If I'm after elk with my .270 I change to a Partition or Mono Metal 130 grain, the rest of the time I shoot cup-n-core cheap bullets for everything else. I might try some RL26 and some 150+ bullets someday, but I have a lot of 4831SC and my system ain't broke.

My brother in law wants me to help him make a varmint load and big game(elk) load for his 270win
Just wondering what everyone kind of liked in their 270s?

Can't help a lot with the varmint load. I've loaded for my dads 270 but mostly deer sized game loads. Did put some Hornady Vmax loads together for him with reasonable groups but l did little load development. I've done extensive loading with the Nosler Accubond LR 150's with several powders. Big fan of these bullets. IMR 7977 is yielding the best velocities and groups out of his old Rem 700 with a worn out barrel. Still sub MOA groups. Hornady brass and Win Large Rifle primers. I'll let you find your own load but with those components I've seen success. Good luck.

When I see posts like this I just figure the OP has no experience with a cartridge, this case the .270 Win. I also figure the OP really isn't looking for load data but a place to start (bullet and powder) that work well for other .270 shooters. IMO this narrows things down alot, especially if multiple people post the same bullet and powder.

Me I simplified my load for the .270 a few years ago, I use a 130 grain bullet and 4831SC powder. If I'm after elk with my .270 I change to a Partition or Mono Metal 130 grain, the rest of the time I shoot cup-n-core cheap bullets for everything else. I might try some RL26 and some 150+ bullets someday, but I have a lot of 4831SC and my system ain't broke.
Exactly, not sure why the hostility. I'm gonna use h4831sc with the 140s. Should be able to make a good consistent load for him

I've found that a lot of cartridges or even bullets like similar nodes. Using a hundred different rifles and the same components You could probably make a bell curve with 60 of them at the same velocity node. Then the rest would Spread to each side in decreasing frequency. Not to mention any other useful tidbits that can be gleaned from experienced 270loaders. Something someone might say could save me sending useless rounds down range.
But thank you for the pics, I'm not sure how close 4064 is to 2208 but seeing good results convinced me I should use 4064 instead of 4831 for the 90gr and I'll use 4831 with the 140s

Adi 2208 is Varget, IMR 4064 is the a very similar burn rate but not as temp stable from what I have read?
http://www.adi-powders.com.au/powder-equivalents/

My 270 Abolt always performs better with ADI 2213sc(H4831) for heavier projectiles over ADI 2209(H4350) .

Good luck.

Sierra discontinued the .277 90 grain bullet several months ago. I bought a couple of extra boxes because my 270WSM shoots them so well. I enjoy them for range use, and yes they do open up coyotes and such. I have not shot the Speer 90 grain yet, but I have heard that they are generally very accurate as well.

Sierra discontinued the .277 90 grain bullet several months ago. I bought a couple of extra boxes because my 270WSM shoots them so well. I enjoy them for range use, and yes they do open up coyotes and such. I have not shot the Speer 90 grain yet, but I have heard that they are generally very accurate as well.
I figured. If they shoot well I'll pick up another box for him or else grab a box of Speer 90gr, with a little tweaking they'll probably work. They look quite similar

My 270 favors IMR 4350 for just about every projectile in the 130 to 140 grain range I have tried.

All loads below are .3 to .7 moa from my factory tikka t3

Barnes 129g lrx just over max load of IMR 4350 with CCI BR2 and Norma Brass with .050 Jump

Barnes 130gr TSX over max load of IMR 4350 with CCI BR2 and Norma Brass with .050 Jump

140g Berger VLD Hunter over 53.1 grains of IMR 4350 CCI BR2 and Norma Brass with light jam in the lands of .002