Rws vs Norma 270win brass?

All of this talk of brass is very interesting to me. I have fire formed 40-60 each of Hornady,Win.,Rem.,and Federal. All factory loaded ammo for the 7mm-08 A.I., am very curious as to how they all play out.
I have never fireformed before but have reloaded for over thirty years.
Winchester has always had the most capacity and I personally have had decent results with Federal. I have never reloaded a Horady case in my life so I can't comment on it. I shot a .308 for years and prefered Lake City brass.
Just yesterday I talked with Rich about a .280 Sherm. with longer throat. I have lots of once fired .270 brass from random factory loads I will run before I can justify expensive but probably well worth " better brass".
Rich talked me out of using a Ruger tang safety action for the .280 so when it gets a .243 A.I. barrel maybe I will try some of the high dollar brass.

I used nosler brass for my 270 sherman and haven't been happy with it. It's trimmed way to short and once you form to the sherman chamber it doesn't really grow much. I believe it was over .015" short of minimum trim length. Also seems to be quite a bit softer than Norma as my pockets are about toast at 4 firings. I like their RUM and win mag brass well enough but am not pleased with the 270 brass I got.

I used nosler brass for my 270 sherman and haven't been happy with it. It's trimmed way to short and once you form to the sherman chamber it doesn't really grow much. I believe it was over .015" short of minimum trim length.
That's because most AI and Sherman cases shrink about .020" at the neck length after forming to the new chamber. When brass is scavenged to fill the chamber walls and shoulder, the brass has to come from somewhere, and that somewhere is the neck. So, that part is not really Nosler's fault. It's just the nature of the beast. Not sure what Rich's cartridge length's are set to, but just tossing out the info incase you weren't aware of this.

That's because most AI and Sherman cases shrink about .020" at the neck length after forming to the new chamber. When brass is scavenged to fill the chamber walls and shoulder, the brass has to come from somewhere, and that somewhere is the neck. So, that part is not really Nosler's fault. It's just the nature of the beast. Not sure what Rich's cartridge length's are set to, but just tossing out the info incase you weren't aware of this.
His lengths account for the shrinkage. I meant it was already trimmed .015" shorter than 270 win trim length so it put me even shorter after forming.

His lengths account for the shrinkage. I meant it was already trimmed .015" shorter than 270 win trim length so it put me even shorter after forming.
Oh, gotcha. They were too short from Nosler, is what you're saying. I would have called them and said something. They probably would have sent you some more.

I will say that it's not really nosler'
Oh, gotcha. They were too short from Nosler, is what you're saying. I would have called them and said something. They probably would have sent you some more.
Maybe so. I don't know but it is also soft stuff. Reminds me of federal 25-06 brass I used a time or two. Like I said, some of their brass is really nice and that's why I went with it to begin with, but there are better options to form sherman brass out there. I believe another member, possibly Phorwath, ran into some of the same issues with 270 brass a while back also.

I have spent quite some time researching "wildcatting". I believe I am going to have to fallow Rich's(and others)advise and purchase some decent brass to do the Sherman. My 7mm-08 a.i. is going forward with the brass I have formed. At least for now.
The more I study the more my stubborn thoughts change. Years of being a tightwad has probably cost me more in frustration than its worth.
This whole wilcattin' and LR hunting bug has really sunk its teeth in.

I have spent quite some time researching "wildcatting". I believe I am going to have to follow Rich's advise and purchase some decent brass to do the Sherman.
Be silly not to. Brass strength can add to the joys of wildcatting, or take away from it.
By the time you've fire-formed and prepped all your casings to the wildcat chamber dimensions, the last thing you want to learn is it's time to start over again because the primer pockets are now all loose.
Most folk go wildcat for higher MV. Brass with high case head strength enhances the potential for additional MV.

Advise taken, sir.
I am just a natural tight wad.
Must reprogram some of my thinking.
Barrel life wasted on sub-quality brass is a good place to begin.

But I will never quit liking a Savage action:rolleyes::cool:

Ok I'm going to build a 280 Sherman and was told to use either the RWS brass or the Norma brass. What is everyone's experience with both or either? The Norma I can get 100 for $71 the RWS is available for 20 for $34.98 I know the rws is supposed to be really good brass and it should be for the price. But how is the Norma because it is way more affordable.

Norma is good brass, but the primer pockets are the first thing to go. RWS is really tough brass. It is better than Lapua in some ways.

I'm Just so jealous $71.00 for 100 Norma 270. Over here in the UK in fact in Europe even Norma 308 brass is $156.00 per hundred. Of course price fixing doesn't happen in the corruption free EU !!!!! Norma has always been my first choice I've found them consistently to hold tighter tolerances then other brass

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.