270 WSM question

cmdc

Gentlemen, I want a rifle in this caliber. I have found a Browning BLR White Gold Medallion which has a 22" barrel. Is the 22" barrel going to compromise the round compared to 23" that the bolt gun has? I'm left handed and can't find a bolt gun.

Thanks

Any WSM in a 22" barrel is going to kill your velocity. The lever gun part is going to hurt your accuracy. Find a bolt gun with a 24"+ barrel for long range shooting.

I'd look for a bolt action lefty...Savage and Tikka make the 270WSM in left hand with barrels that are at least 24". There may be other manufacturers that make them as well.

Thanks, guys. That's a bummer. I really like BLRs. I'll see what I can find in bolt guns. Found a Browning in 300 WSM but it's blue/wood and was concerned about how it would fare in inclement weather.

If you really want a good and accurate 270 WSM that want kill your checking account look into the Savage Model 16 FLHSS. I learned the expensive way that factory Indian Heads are far more accurate than Stag Heads.

LOL. You are right about that. I have a few Indian heads already. two 260s and a 7-08. One of the 260s is a Max Hunter 1. Very accurate waaaay out there. I put a Leupold VX-6 4-16 scope with illuminated ballistic reticle on it.

I have to reluctantly agree that the 22" barrel probably won't make a significant enough difference between the 270 wsm and the 270 Win., of which I already have several.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.