270 Win for Elk using 130 SST/130 Accubond/130NP

moose727

I have shoulder issues and I'm reluctant to use my 300 WM for Elk. I have a Kimber 270 Win and have a pretty good load using 130 NP (3078 FPS) and I realize shot placement is EVERYTHING.... However looking for advice which would be a better bullet 130 Nosler Accubond or 130 Hornady SST for Elk or do I stick it out the 130 Nosler Partition? Thanks for any feedback

I'd lean towards the partition myself. There's a ton of guides and outfitters that cite the .270 as their recommended minimum for elk and moose. Smaller rounds can easily kill them but the 270 is a sensible minimum in that it really does have the horsepower to smash a shoulder and take out vitals with broad sounding. Shot placement is everything but that being said there are shots you can take with a more powerful gun that you shouldn't with a smaller one, as in the allowance for acceptable shot placement is in fact more forgiving with more powerful rifles. There are shots I'd take with my own .300 win mag that I wouldn't take with a .270, and there are shots I'd take with my .270 that I would hesitate to make with my .243. The .270 is forgiving enough to make most shots on elk with an appropriate projectile for the job.

I'd feel better about it with a 150 grain partition, 140 trophy bonded tip, or 130 mono of some kind but that's just me, there's nothing wrong with 130s just not the sst in my opinion.

It sounds like with his shoulder he wants to keep recoil down and assuming that's why he's leaning towards the 130 grain
Makes sense. I realize he stated as well he already had a good load…I'm sure he knows this but just in case, let it be stated in that one cannot substitute different projectiles with the same powder and charge and expect the same results, or even safe results sometimes. Need to work up new loads with new projectiles.

I'd lean towards the partition myself. There's a ton of guides and outfitters that cite the .270 as their recommended minimum for elk and moose. Smaller rounds can easily kill them but the 270 is a sensible minimum in that it really does have the horsepower to smash a shoulder and take out vitals with broad sounding. Shot placement is everything but that being said there are shots you can take with a more powerful gun that you shouldn't with a smaller one, as in the allowance for acceptable shot placement is in fact more forgiving with more powerful rifles. There are shots I'd take with my own .300 win mag that I wouldn't take with a .270, and there are shots I'd take with my .270 that I would hesitate to make with my .243. The .270 is forgiving enough to make most shots on elk with an appropriate projectile for the job.

I'd feel better about it with a 150 grain partition, 140 trophy bonded tip, or 130 mono of some kind but that's just me, there's nothing wrong with 130s just not the sst in my opinion.
I have always used Nosler Bullets for hunting 165NP for my 300 WM and has worked AWESOME.... Looks like i will have to pick up some 130 AB for Elk. Considering I have shoulder issues :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I am trying to stay away from more recoil then I have to. Thanks for the advice