.270 win bullets for elk

Hey Carny, Big&green gave you the best advice you could ever hear. PLACEMENT, Placement, placement.
I would like to chat with you about the 270. Call me at 208-716-2432 if you would like.
Good luck & we expect pics!!!
Thanks, Kirk

I have a rem 700 and shoot 140 bergers thru it. The thing shoots amazing. I shoot 60.2 grains of h-4831sc fed 210 primer and will have to go measure my bullet oal to be sure but my memory tells me 3.390 I will check and post here. The load has been test in 6 other of friends rifles and shoots **** good in all of them. 4100' elevation and shoots 3070-3080 fps with 24" barrel guns. I would run a Berger 140 in a heartbeat. There is your load development lol. Good luck with whichever bullet you decide to go with.

My grandpa hunted mule deer and elk in the AZ mountains and never used anything other than a 270 with 130gr speer or sierra.
If the game king is the most accurate use it. The Sierra pro hunter and speer hot core are a little more stout so Id go with one of those if they shoot good in your rifle.
I personally won't use Barnes. I don't like solid copper bullets and feel they aren't reliable enough (I know lots use them and swear by them) especially for longer shots. They need high velocity or heavy bone to open and even then sometimes they'll not open at all.
The old school traditional hunting bullets are still just as good as putting down Elk as any new fancy bullet as long as you're within traditional hunting distances...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.