(NEED HELP) 270 WIN 130 gr Bergers for elk

LRH ELKAHOLIC

I need some help i cant decide weather to use the 130 gr bergers which shoot sub half minute and i have been shooting the 130s all summer. or switch to 150gr bergers for elk.

is the 130 gr going to be enough for elk at 300-400 yrds and closer. or is it wiser to switch to 150s with only two weeks till my hunt

thanks

My first elk I took was with a 270 and 150 grain bullets and it took three perfectly placed shots to bring him down. Therefore if those were my two only options, then I would have to work a last minute load up with the 150s.

I prefer the 150's for elk hunting. If you have some 150's to try you might give it a go, however the confidence you have in your present load is no doubt worth more than 20 grains of bullet weight.

350 yards would be about max if you're looking to maintain close to 1500 ft lbs of energy.

Have a great hunt and hope to be looking at pictures in a few weeks.

The 150's would be the most efficient kill. If time permits try the 150's, but 2 weeks isn't a lot of time. You have a lot of other necessities needing attention in just 2 weeks time. This is a tough call, hope you update so others may use the info. Good luck

I shot my bull with a 6.5 SAUM last fall with 130 grain Berger HVLD's. It was 320 yards running up a ridge away from me. I put the first one kinda far back because I wasn't leading him, hit just in front of rear quarters through the spine, that one stopped him. Sent another right between the shoulders, just to the right of the spine, that one dropped him. I think the 130's are good to go for the distances you are talking about.

The reason I went with them was because they shot better out of my rifle than the 140's, I would rather be able to "within reason" put it exactly where it needs to go. I wouldn't give up accuracy for a heavier projectile. Especially if you have good data for the load you are running now, I say run it!gun)

Here is my bull from the Bridger Tetons last fall, shot it suppressed with a 6.5 SAUM at 320 yards. We heard the bull bugling (mid October, I thought it was way to late for that, but he was bellering to beat hell!) I worked my way over to draw while my cousin tied up the horses, right after I got to the edge of the draw I saw a five point rag horn bull on the other ridge just above the draw where I could hear them bugling. I ranged him (the raghorn), he was at 320 yards. I could tell by the tone of the bugle that the other bull that I had not yet seen was bigger, I could literally feel his chuckle at the end of his bugle in my chest as it echoed up the canyon. My cousin spotted the bull first, but could not put me on him (he had already shot his bull) I moved my position and dialed my USO scope for my 320 yard dope and started scanning the hill side, some cows above us had busted us and all the elk were blowing up out of the bottom. I spotted a cow through my scope that was hauling *** through a clearing, right then my cousin asked me if I saw the cow running through the clearing, I said yes and he said, alright that big bastard is going to be coming through that same clearing right behind her, as soon as I saw him in my sight picture I squeezed it off, hit him in the spine kinda far back, that stopped him, I quickly racked a round and sent another and that dropped him....then I spent a day and a half packing him out of some pretty miserable steep country...too steep to get the horses all the way too him and there was a rock vertical ledge below him so I had to quarter it and bone out the rear quarters and pack it about 1/8 mile up the ridge to where we could get the horses too....here are a few pics

I dont see a problem with 130's as long as you limit your range.

I killed a few elk with Speer 140 grain SPBT's out of my 280 remington. Elk sure hated that combination :)

I've killed lots of elk with a 130 grain pill out to 400. I'm using the 130 berger now.
Don't see any problem with the 130, What's 20 grains ??

I grew up using a 270 win 24 inch. I always used 140 or 150 spbt's. I have never lost anything I shot and I never had to shoot it twice. But I have let things go because I did not want to try a running or too long away. I've had friends that i never hunted again with that had the the super mag guns that just destroy meat or wound.

A well placed shot makes up for an ultra mag!

I would work up a load for fun with the 150s. you never know, they may shoot better than the 130s. if the 150s don't work, then run the 130s, but if they do, well you already know the ans to that one

I have used 130sgk's and 140vld's both with good luck from the 270, just remember they both ruin a lot of meat so aim for the vitals not the shoulder.

thanks guys i think ill roll with the 130s for now because i dont have time for 150s but ill load a couple 150 load for next year and see. i will post pictures if i kill one

thanks alot

Go with confidence that good shooting will trump extra grains every time.

Especially with the 130 Berger placed precisely where you desire.

Nothing is better than confidence in your rig and load.

Here's hopin' that you get the shot.:)

Go with confidence that good shooting will trump extra grains every time.

Especially with the 130 Berger placed precisely where you desire.

Nothing is better than confidence in your rig and load.

Here's hopin' that you get the shot.:)

Roy I went through your town in July.... Craters of the moon.... I forgot all about you. Send me your Address IM I still owe you for the .277 cal 169.5 grain bullets don't I?

it is sad I could never get them again

George

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.