.270 win bullets for elk

carnyman

Lucked out and drew a unit 72-74 bull tag in Nevada. was wondering if accuracy were equal what you rather shoot, 130 grain TTSX or a 140 grain Accubond? thanks in advance.

I'll take the Accubond over the TTSX because it tracks better through the animal and does more damage through the organs, I'll take a 140 Berger or 165 Matrix over anything in a 270.

Lucked out and drew a unit 72-74 bull tag in Nevada. was wondering if accuracy were equal what you rather shoot, 130 grain TTSX or a 140 grain Accubond? thanks in advance.
Hornady Interlock/Interbond or Nosler Partition are where I'd look. I've never had the Hornady's let me down even on African game and I have a buddy who's old 7mm Rem has taken over 40 Elk shooting the Partition.

I haven't shot the TSX or TTSX so I can't speak to them.

I shoot the Bergers in other rifles and love them. Problem is I don't have a load worked up in my .270 and I'm not sure im going to have a lot of time. What time I have I would rather spend shooting for practice instead of off the bench. Thanks for the reply and keep the advice coming.

Carny, where you hit them is far more important than the caliber you hit them with and even to some degree the bullet chosen.

If you are a guy who likes to take shoulder shots there's a whole lot of muscle and very hard bone to get through so you need a bullet that will hold together and get deep penetration.

If you shoot behind the shoulder for a heart/lung shot then you have very little to penetrate other than ribs and they are not hard bone and not very thick so it doesn't take a really tough bullet to do the job.

If you take that into consideration then the choice of the type/brand of bullet isn't an important one.

The most important consideration is having a bullet you can accurately put into the vitals at the ranges you are shooting.

Reasonably, what range do you expect to be shooting at?

For years my only rifle was a 270 & I hunted everything from jackrabbits to elk with it. The only bullet I shot back then was the Sierra 130 Gameking. Everything died fast. I have had train wrecks with both Berger and Barnes.
Thanks, Kirk

I'd take whichever one shoots the most accurately.

However, we've had very good success with the TTSX both in performance and accuracy, so that's where I would lean.

Actually those 130 gr Game kings are the most accurate in this rifle but was just a little leery of using them on elk. Maybe a touch soft for quartering shots if that's what's presented.

Actually those 130 gr Game kings are the most accurate in this rifle but was just a little leery of using them on elk. Maybe a touch soft for quartering shots if that's what's presented.
quartering shots are generally where you'll have the least bone to penetrate so "softer" shouldn't be an issue. It's only when you're punching hard bones and deep muscles that it becomes an issue and that's where bullets like the Interbond/Interlock and Partition really shine.

I've dug a LOT of game kings out of dead elk, usually you'll find mushroomed bullets just under the hide on the of side. Your ability to place shot is far more important than what bullet, what ever you have confidence in that you can pull up and put a bullet through the vitals every time and hit them again if needed that's what to take. A well place regular bullet is far more effective than a poor placed "elk" bullet.

My first elk was with a 270 and a 150 Partition. Hit em where it counts and smoke a big 'un come November!!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.