Load work for Ruger 270 Win, for Elk

thanks for the post. That is pretty impressive for the ruger!
It is also one heck of a jump to the lands........rich

Rich,

That may seem like a lot of jump but it's also a very long bullet. I have loaded these from touching out to .140 from the lands and this is what the gun seems to like best. Keep in mind this is .095 not .95 from the lands so is Less than a tenth of an inch from the lands and again on these long bullets that's not a lot of jump considering. Also the Ruger's not quite as bad as the Remington's but has a very deep throat. From my little expierence, it appears Rifles with the longer throats seem not to need the bullets touching the lands and in some cases you can't touch the lands even if you wanted to. You always want to have the bullet set into the case at least one caliber's width deep. With a Rem 700, 30-06 I have it's impossible to both touch the lands and satisfy that one caliber's width into the case rule with most bullets.

Terry

Rich,

That may seem like a lot of jump but it's also a very long bullet. I have loaded these from touching out to .140 from the lands and this is what the gun seems to like best. Keep in mind this is .095 not .95 from the lands so is Less than a tenth of an inch from the lands and again on these long bullets that's not a lot of jump considering. Also the Ruger's not quite as bad as the Remington's but has a very deep throat. From my little expierence, it appears Rifles with the longer throats seem not to need the bullets touching the lands and in some cases you can't touch the lands even if you wanted to. You always want to have the bullet set into the case at least one caliber's width deep. With a Rem 700, 30-06 I have it's impossible to both touch the lands and satisfy that one caliber's width into the case rule with most bullets.

Terry

Normally, .09 is a lot of jump with a secant ogive but I know sometimes it works in a given rifle. Sounds like yours likes it:D......Rich

Thanks Rich for again replying to my post. I usually try to post things in the hope it will help someone else but am often rewarded with some sort of info I didn't know as in the case of your reply. It forced me to look up the meaning of "secant" as well as Tangent. So now I understand better what you were telling me. Apparently the VLD bullets have a Secant ogive meaning great better BC than a tangent ogive bullet of the same length but more prone to needing loaded to a specific distance from the lands. I kinda knew that, but not in those terms. I kinda thought that way too and started out with loading groups of bullets touching the lands then deeper into the process tried again but they just didn't shoot that well. One thing I discovered when loading Berger bullets and not always having good accuracy into or close to the lands is to follow their website recommendation. That is to make up a group touching then another at .040, another at .080 and lastly another group at .120. They promise one of those groups will shoot well then narrow down from there so that's what I do. I often find that the best shooting group is not the closest to the lands.

Terry

Thanks Rich for again replying to my post. I usually try to post things in the hope it will help someone else but am often rewarded with some sort of info I didn't know as in the case of your reply. It forced me to look up the meaning of "secant" as well as Tangent. So now I understand better what you were telling me. Apparently the VLD bullets have a Secant ogive meaning great better BC than a tangent ogive bullet of the same length but more prone to needing loaded to a specific distance from the lands. I kinda knew that, but not in those terms. I kinda thought that way too and started out with loading groups of bullets touching the lands then deeper into the process tried again but they just didn't shoot that well. One thing I discovered when loading Berger bullets and not always having good accuracy into or close to the lands is to follow their website recommendation. That is to make up a group touching then another at .040, another at .080 and lastly another group at .120. They promise one of those groups will shoot well then narrow down from there so that's what I do. I often find that the best shooting group is not the closest to the lands.

Terry

You have it, and good job......Rich

The Matrix bonded 150 would be a solid choice I think for elk, I'd be shooting it if I couldn't stabilize the heavier bullets, fortunately we are at 6000+ft and they shoot from our 1-10 twists very well.

Bigngreen- This is out of a 270 WSM with what length barrel? Do you think they'd (150s) stabilize out of a standard 270win with a 1:10 / 22" tube? How fast did they need to leave in order to stabilize?

I am looking at my next options after using 130gr TSX on boar and deer. I've heard nothing but good things about the Matrix bullets, Bergers too. But this is for an auto loader (BAR) so I don't want to be kissing the lands. The gun is accurate, < 1 MOA with 130 Hdy SP, SST, & the TSX. Never got ABs or Sierra BTSPs to do well. Only shot game with TSX (mv 2990 fps) which knocked em down with almost instant kills. But they need higher velocity to dependably open so range is limited by that.

Bigngreen- This is out of a 270 WSM with what length barrel? Do you think they'd (150s) stabilize out of a standard 270win with a 1:10 / 22" tube? How fast did they need to leave in order to stabilize?

I am looking at my next options after using 130gr TSX on boar and deer. I've heard nothing but good things about the Matrix bullets, Bergers too. But this is for an auto loader (BAR) so I don't want to be kissing the lands. The gun is accurate, < 1 MOA with 130 Hdy SP, SST, & the TSX. Never got ABs or Sierra BTSPs to do well. Only shot game with TSX (mv 2990 fps) which knocked em down with almost instant kills. But they need higher velocity to dependably open so range is limited by that.

We have no problem stabilizing the 165's in a 270 Win with a shorter barrel and 1-10 twist the 150 should easily stabilize in a 1-10. I shot 150's in my 1-11 twist barrel. This is at 5600 ft elevation, I do know some have had a little stability issues with the 165 at much lower elevations while other don't but a 150 should be GTG.

The Matrix is very seating tolerant, Bergers are as well but you'll find a lot of miss information about that, most of us who shoot them at ELR are seating them of the lands .015 or more, most of mine are seated of the lands .020-.070.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts