270 for hunting elk?

Shane Lindsey

Hey all, I am new to the site. I am confident with my shooting abilities even long range shooting. Does anyone use a 270 to hunt elk? I know big bullet, big hole, but isn't shot placement most important?

Just asking for advice or anyone that has done it.

Thanks

Shane

I think Roy meant ''270'' not 250....I think.....He did mention he was gettin old, but he ''forgot'' to mention senial:D

In all seriousness HECK YA a 270 will crumble an elk! I have a cousin who only has one hunting rifle. Its a 270 win. He's lethal with that thing on elk!
My favorite rifle (presently) is my 270wsm. I use it for Deer, Bear, and Elk,....and everything else come to think of it:D.
The 270win is a Great caliber, great cartrige, and well suited to the task at hand, when shot within its capabilities and shot accurately.
Roy (mentioned above) pushes his IWK wildcats at lightspeed out of his. Well I think Roy actually pushes most all his bullets at light speed, from what Ive read, but theres alot of 270 fans here. Theres a reason folks like the 270. Its a great ''do it all'' cartrige. Light for some tasks, a bit excessive for others, but it always works well on anything in the lower 48. -not recomended for Griz- but in a pinch it would still get the job done.

Throw some RL-22 and a 140gr Nosler Accubond thru it, and youll be impressed at what it can do at extended range.

My first elk was a cow at 400 with a .270 130gr speer hot core 54gr IMR 4831. Hit a couple ribs but was a pass through. Dropped about 30 yards from where I shot her.

Thanks,

I have been working loads for it. Just to see what she'll do, I have worked a pretty good one with 135gr SMK and 58.7gr of H4831. So far it is about .75 MOA, so I have confidence in the gun (Remington Sendero).

STA Low

Shane

I've seen some good things with IMR 7828. No problem wacking and stacking on an elk with a 270, see it every year with sickening regularity. The 270 causes me to have to over exert my self on several occasions each fall:D

I would limit your range to 400 yards or less, 300 yards with a 130 grain bullet. Elk very in size an aweful lot. I don't think it's a good idea to shoot 900lb animals at 800 yards with a 270....

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.