.270 vs 6.5x55

Robster80

i own a 270 and lately ive been considering buying a 6.5x55 swede. just now realized how close they are in performance,etc. will the 6.5 do anything the 270 wont do? anyone own both ?

Have you thought about opening the chamber of your .270 to .270 Ackley Improved. That's a quick, cheap, and easy way to gain some performance. You will need a new set of dies.

I don't own a 6.5x55 and the .270 has not been delivered, I have shot both in various rifles, I have:

260 Remington
270 Weatherby
Many more for hunting, target and TAC

so

IHEO, while the 'performance' range is similar but they are not the same. Choosing one over the other in a space limited gun safe would depend on use. If it's pure hunting the 270 will do it. If you are mixing hunting and target, TAC or ringing steel at long ranges, I believe the 6.5x55 hold up better at long range simply because the twist rate and bullet was originally intended for long range.

Of course if it were me, I'd get both...

Oh, I don't own a 6.5x55 YET

I tried to buy one but he wasn't having it.

The 6.55x55 has a lot of options as far as projectiles go. As far as performance, apples to apples must be considered.

Meaning if you think the 270 AI is good, then you have to consider the same tweak for the 6.5X55.

Do a search but someone at one point used an actual sensor for pressures and was getting close to -06 or 264mag velocities.

There are so many ways to skin the prerbial cat and little to really set them apart of real consequance.

i own a 270 and lately ive been considering buying a 6.5x55 swede. just now realized how close they are in performance,etc. will the 6.5 do anything the 270 wont do? anyone own both ?

I own a .270 AI and a 6.5x55 and love them both. The AI has a 30" and shoots primarily the 165 and 175 Matrix VLDs for LR hunting. The 6.5x55 is a carbine (18") barrel, primarily shoots 140 NABs for medium range and timber hunts. They are configured and serve different purposes for me.

Having said that, my 6.5x55 will not do LR hunt/shoot as effectively as my .270 AI.gun)

OP didn't bring an AI into comparison..
Bullets make 26cal better than 27cal, overall, as ultimately everything begins with the bullet.

A better comparison would be a .270 Win vs 6.5-06. In that scenario, the 6.5-06 wins. A 6.5x55 housed in a modern action, and loaded to modern pressures, will run a bit behind both (though it will eventually catch the .270 with most commonly available bullets).

In either scenario, the 6.5's are handloader's cartridges. If one is going with off-the-shelf factory rifles and ammo, the .270 Win is tough to beat. I suspect that has a lot to do with the enduring popularity of the cartridge and rifles so chambered. I am a handloader, gun nut, and a big fan of the 6.5x55. But, I don't believe the 6.5x55 to be quite the equal of a .270, under field conditions, until the range gets long enough to make a clean kill with either one a questionable proposition.

If I am just punching paper, I would take the 6.5x55 every time.

Bullets make 26cal better than 27cal, overall, as ultimately everything begins with the bullet.

If the comment was meant for me, you're absolutely right, however, I do shoot a regular .270 Win out my AI including factory ammo and perhaps I should have mentioned that. :rolleyes:

Chambering comparison alone IMHHO is not a fair comparison as others has commented.

As most here can do a thesis to prove a point, I simply did a quick comparison of how my rifles are configured and covered the barrel lengths (although I did not state the twist), bullets I used (as you duly noted ultimately begins), and its intended purpose ... that's all I'm trying to point out. :D

Cheers! :cool:

I didn't mean anything by it, but further into the thread discussions were swaying to potential for misunderstanding of the original comparison by later reader/posters. That happens.

My sentiments also are not tied to velocity, but to OVERALL potential out of cal (26-vs-27).
Competitors, long or short, follow bullets, then brass. You may notice they don't use odd cals(23, 25, 27, 29, etc) and it's because of best bullets available in 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, etc.
And while the 270Win is far more powerful than a 6.5x55, the latter is perfect capacity for the best in 26cal bullets(~140gr), and it's case is better designed. It can run faster powder, higher pressure, for better accuracy, and out-live the 270 cases. Much because of the 6.5x55 smaller chamber area and steeper shoulders/less body taper(more improved).

But then, I'm a pretty opinionated rascal..

I didn't mean anything by it, but further into the thread discussions were swaying to potential for misunderstanding of the original comparison by later reader/posters. That happens.

My sentiments also are not tied to velocity, but to OVERALL potential out of cal (26-vs-27).
Competitors, long or short, follow bullets, then brass. You may notice they don't use odd cals(23, 25, 27, 29, etc) and it's because of best bullets available in 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, etc.
And while the 270Win is far more powerful than a 6.5x55, the latter is perfect capacity for the best in 26cal bullets(~140gr), and it's case is better designed. It can run faster powder, higher pressure, for better accuracy, and out-live the 270 cases. Much because of the 6.5x55 smaller chamber area and steeper shoulders/less body taper(more improved).

But then, I'm a pretty opinionated rascal..

Agreed! I've always enjoyed your posts and you're no where near "opinionated" as your honest claim. :D

If you're talking to me, I never compared the AI to anything. I simply mentioned if he wanted more oomph with his current rifle, that he could AI the chamber and gain some velocity for much less money than it would cost to build or buy a new rifle.

I have a real fondness for the 6.5x55 Swede.
I can build what ever I want but chose the 6.5x55mm Swede.
Softer to shoot than most .270's, amazing accuracy, in a modern rifle it can pushed faster (but why?).
The.270 is a classic American cartridge, the 6.5x55 is a classic European cartridge used all over Europe and Africa for plains game not to mention America for everything but Brown and Grizzly Bears.
You can not go wrong picking either cartridge.
There is no critters that would know the difference.
I have not owned a .270 Winchester for a lot of years but do own the 6.5x55, just my choice, what is yours?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.