270. wsm vs 270 ss

I am building a heavy slug 270 WSM laughing rig as well. I think the 1:7.5" or 1:8" twist is what I am using. PTG has a long free bore reamer for the 160 through 175 grain slugs. if not then I can ask them to grinding me one.
I'm going to rebarrel my M-70 for the heavy slugs.
I have a 26"#3 Bartlien 1-8 SS barrel . Sent Berger a email for load data , see what happens when the fun starts.

I need a little more help or possibly persuasion between these two. I'm taking with my smith and the gentleman I'm ordering parts from and I'm just up in the air. I can go short action or long doesn't make a difference. Narrowed it down between 2 actions and leaning heavily towards a bighorn tl3. This rifles main purpose is for my moose and bear hunting needs. I'm settled on a .277 as I've always just wanted one. 165gr matrix or 170 Berger. What's the benefits to running one over the other? What velocities are you guys getting out of these calibers? I see you can get ss brass now which is nice but it won't be as easy to get it here in Canada which I see as a bonus for the wsm. Plus more options and easier to acquire dies as well. Any help would be appreciated! Right now I'm leaning towards 270. Wsm long action build vs 270 ss short action build but open to opinions?
I've owned 3 270 wsm rifles. I only hunted with two of them. To keep my opinion as short as possible, the issue with the 270 wsm is finding brass that's worthy of using. There's Nosler & Norma and it's consistent but very expensive in that cartridge. Either of those two won't last many firings. You will have ADG brass if you go with the Sherman. The ADG brass is very consistent, tough, and will be a little cheaper than the Nosler or Norma in a 270 wsm. My vote is for the Sherman.

I've owned 3 270 wsm rifles. I only hunted with two of them. To keep my opinion as short as possible, the issue with the 270 wsm is finding brass that's worthy of using. There's Nosler & Norma and it's consistent but very expensive in that cartridge. Either of those two won't last many firings. You will have ADG brass if you go with the Sherman. The ADG brass is very consistent, tough, and will be a little cheaper than the Nosler or Norma in a 270 wsm. My vote is for the Sherman.
There isn't any Sherman support in Canada at the moment so that's out

I totally understand.
I wish I could, but the cost of adg in Canada is crazy expensive, so importing Rich's head stamped brass would be outrageous. Plus a reamer would be 250-450 probably where the wsm would be slightly easier and just run on a long action. I'm trying to convince a buddy to get in contact with rich and start being the dealer in Canada for Sherman's and if that happens I'll be building that for sure, but he isn't make too much leeway with his boss. So 270 wsm. This will be a hunting rig so I'm not over concerned about Lapua quality brass. Would be nice but not a huge deal breaker

I didn't realize you were in Canada, I guess I should have paid more attention. The 270 wsm will serve you well. There was several deer killed with mine and put them down quick & clean.

I didn't realize you were in Canada, I guess I should have paid more attention. The 270 wsm will serve you well. There was several deer killed with mine and put them down quick & clean.

well I figured long action (leaning anti or anti x), ag composite stock to try, tt special, #4 or #5 fluted 25" 1:8 twist. Use to work at a gun store in college and help out from time to time to keep my discount and they have 500 pieces of Winchester brass same lot number and I can get it for super cheap so though I could weight and sort, prep ans be done with it for a hunting rifle.

they have a crap ton of saum brass too (300 and 7) thoight might be fun to do a 270'saum long action

Doesn't Rich still rent reamers? I thought Bighorn sales also dealt in ADG brass. I'm sure the brass isn't cheap. But about 6 years ago when I did a 6.5 Sherman the reamer rental was $50 I thought. We sure do get hosed on pricing up here.

Doesn't Rich still rent reamers? I thought Bighorn sales also dealt in ADG brass. I'm sure the brass isn't cheap. But about 6 years ago when I did a 6.5 Sherman the reamer rental was $50 I thought. We sure do get hosed on pricing up here.

I figured because adg doesn't list Sherman calibers that means Gary has to deal direct with rich and pricing will change since he isn't a dealer and you'd be paying full website pricing, plus exchange, plus import fees and paperwork crap. I'm sure we would be taking $200-$300 for 50 pieces of brass which is outrageous seeing as normal adg is 160-180 for 50 pieces.
As for reamers, I'm not sure if he'd rent to Canada as once again import fees and paperwork I'm sure so I just assumed you'd have to buy one.

I hear you on the brass. I was going to do a 25 SST on my last build and got to frustrated trying to find components. I thought maybe you could order ADG from Gary and fireform. Reamer was just mailed up here and then mailed back to rich after we were done with it. No import fees/paperwork that I remember. Reamer rental was very easy. Could PM rich to see if that has changed. But then there's still the brass problem. Best of luck on your build.

I figured because adg doesn't list Sherman calibers that means Gary has to deal direct with rich and pricing will change since he isn't a dealer and you'd be paying full website pricing, plus exchange, plus import fees and paperwork crap. I'm sure we would be taking $200-$300 for 50 pieces of brass which is outrageous seeing as normal adg is 160-180 for 50 pieces.
As for reamers, I'm not sure if he'd rent to Canada as once again import fees and paperwork I'm sure so I just assumed you'd have to buy one.

Prophet river can import Rich's ADG brass, I'd contact them for pricing. When I did my 338 SS I rented the reamer from Rich and he sent directly to my smith.

I hear you on the brass. I was going to do a 25 SST on my last build and got to frustrated trying to find components. I thought maybe you could order ADG from Gary and fireform. Reamer was just mailed up here and then mailed back to rich after we were done with it. No import fees/paperwork that I remember. Reamer rental was very easy. Could PM rich to see if that has changed. But then there's still the brass problem. Best of luck on your build.
The 25sst would be sweet and is something I'd love to run. I have a 25 creed and it's my favourite caliber at the moment, and would like to do the 25sst as well!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.