7mm WSM vs. .270 WSM

lovec_1

Hi everybody,this is my first post here on LRH,i hope you´ll understand me,my english is not the best. (from Slovak Republic,Europe. lovec_1 stands for hunter_1 ).

I have following problem: Want buy rifle for LR hunting/target shooting,no matter of brand,but with one of this two calibers: 7mm WSM and .270WSM. I have oportunities for shooting up to 1000 meters (approx. 1093 yds.).

.270WSM:
- positives: rifle easy to buy (Tikka T3 Varmint),available brass in Europe
(Remington,Norma....),very good aftermarket stock (Roedale RCS)
- negatives: small assortment of high BC bullets (only Berger´s VLD 150grs.),
are there any other good choices? short factory barrel 23,5"

7mm WSM:
- positives: possibility to use bullets with high BC (Berger VLD 168-180grs.),
very important for me.
- negatives: no rifle here... :-( , low availability of brass (only Winchester?),
eventual necessary re-barreling from .270WSM,higher costs (new barrel...)

But generally i am fan of 7mm WSM,with high BC bullets can out-perform many .30 calibers (except of ultra mags and some wildcats), and i think it provide better resistance against wind-drift then the .270WSM.

Thanks for your opinions a recommendations.

Of those choices I would go with the 7mm WSM for 1000 m stuff. I like the 270 WSM but the 7 will be better. However I would recommend something with at least a 26 inch tube.

SCOUTS OUT

Hi everybody,this is my first post here on LRH,i hope you´ll understand me,my english is not the best. (from Slovak Republic,Europe. lovec_1 stands for hunter_1 ).

I have following problem: Want buy rifle for LR hunting/target shooting,no matter of brand,but with one of this two calibers: 7mm WSM and .270WSM. I have oportunities for shooting up to 1000 meters (approx. 1093 yds.).

.270WSM:
- positives: rifle easy to buy (Tikka T3 Varmint),available brass in Europe
(Remington,Norma....),very good aftermarket stock (Roedale RCS)
- negatives: small assortment of high BC bullets (only Berger´s VLD 150grs.),
are there any other good choices? short factory barrel 23,5"

7mm WSM:
very important for me.
- negatives: no rifle here... :-( , low availability of brass (only Winchester?),
eventual necessary re-barreling from .270WSM,higher costs (new barrel...)

But generally i am fan of 7mm WSM,with high BC bullets can out-perform many .30 calibers (except of ultra mags and some wildcats), and i think it provide better resistance against wind-drift then the .270WSM.

Thanks for your opinions a recommendations.

Hi everybody,this is my first post here on LRH

I trimed your post and you revealed the answer above. Order the rifle AND some brass and dies. While you're waiting you can figure out which scope!

I have shot the .270 for 25 years and the frustrating thing has always been High BC bullets. Oddly enough, the 6.5 and 7MMs on either side of it have lots to choose from in high BC, but the .277s never do.
You will want and need them @ 1000M, and the WSM has the power to take advantage of them.

I shoot the 7mm WSM and love it.. that said, you need to look at a few things.. Availability of brass, over the counter ammo in a pinch and what you are shooting..

I am finding brass limited here in the US on the 7mm wsm.. so if I am, you will... I have found on a recent hunting trip, I had to buy a box of ammo in Montana... FORGET IT... 7mm yes.. WSM forget it... 270 wsm was everywhere...

I hunted Europe years ago when stationed there.. unless you are in a region that has huge bears, even then you are good to go with the 270 wsm..

Not trying to sway you but one must be smart about this one... hope this helps..

very important for me.

you answered your own question here. I feel in the 130-140 gr bullets the 6.5/270 are best suited. 150-180 7mm, 180-230 308 and over the 230 338. I belive matrix and wildcat are making heavy 270 bullets but for me I like to be able to buy in bulk so that all the bullets are consistant (bearing surface). I have found that by buying berger by lot# or sleeves you get great consistancy and at a resonable price. What are you planning on doing with the rifle? I imagine the 270 wsm will do anything you want just fine. When I shoot out my tikka in 300 wsm I will probably rebarrel it to the 270 wsm.

Last edited:
Check out Matrix Ballistics for high bc .277 bullets. Berger is capable, they are just afraid to pull the trigger. My guess is they would sell the heck out of them.

7mm, what is your OAL? I am contemplating a build with an intermediate action with a mag length of 3.325". I want to shoot either a 160 grain Accubond or a 168 grain Berger.

7mm, what is your OAL? I am contemplating a build with an intermediate action with a mag length of 3.325". I want to shoot either a 160 grain Accubond or a 168 grain Berger.

With an intermediate action you dont have any troubles. I am using a short Borden Alpine action. I have no gap in the magazin. aol is 2.98 with the 168 grs Bergersgun)

I had a 270 wsm on Mod 70 terrible factory bbl,now its been re-barreled in 7 WSM I love it, but in the Nevada desert high winds? No bullet is impervious ? Dang I better buy some brass before its gone here in the USA.

With the new bullets out this year the 270 WSM will out perform the 7WSM due to higher BC bullets combined with higher quality brass options it makes a 270 an easy choice for me!

Recent Posts