264 bullets

ml williford

Hello everyone, I have a question about 264 bullets. I'm having a gun built for my wife. A 264 magnum, but she wants to shoot light Bullets. I see 6.5 and 264 bullets labeled as the same some times. Is this always true, because I looking for a 110gr bullet but can't seem to find any in a hunting bullet.
Thanks in Advance

Thank you sir, guess I went down the wrong road on this build.
You could switch to a PRC on a long action if you haven't chambered it yet. All your components will work. Hopefully your twist rate is fast enough for monos as "back40sniper" suggestion will work too. Hammer has their 121 heavy hammer that should do well for what you want to accomplish. See the review while viewing that bullet on their site.

Last edited:
sometimes they are one and the same but not always, Not all 6.5 bullets are 264 diameter they can run from 263 to 268, I Speer bullets used to make 263 dia 6.5 bullets, however unless you encounter some very old manufactured bullets its not likely going to be a problem, Barnes offers a 115gr X bullet, and hammer offers several that are or very near 110 gr,

Any 6.5mm bullet will work in her .264.

.256"=6.5mm bore=.264" groove.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220619-085721_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20220619-085721_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 25
@ml williford, why build a magnum cartridge if recoil is an issue?

How far is she going to shoot at a game (i.e., deer at 500 yards)?

For the above example, a .260/AI or 6.5 CM is very pleasant to shoot.

I understand it is not for everybody, but a muzzle brake remains the most effective means to reduce recoil and muzzle rise. There are plenty of choices to choose from. Often the latter is not realized; spotting your target is priceless.

It adds weight, is pricey, and is a long wait, but suppressor is also gaining popularity.

My .264 WM was built to propel the heavies (i.e., Berger 156) but have the twist (1:7") to also the monos, i.e., 125 BD2 (G7 .302) and 135 BD2 (.358).

If you share the rifle specs, esp. the barrel twist, we might be able to guide you in your bullet choices better.

Just my 2-pence for you to ponder; good luck!

Last edited: