260 velocities

Gray R

Hey guys I'm
Lookin at rebarreling my 6.5x284 and I'm
Not hunting at distances I need the extra *** so I'm lookin at the 260 rem or maybe a 6.5 creedmoor. The gun is a long action so length won't matter. What are some real
World velocities y'all are getting from these cartridges with a 26 inch barrel? Thanks ahead.

I'm getting just under 2800fps with 140 A-Max in my 260. I only have 60 rds down the barrel so I haven't messed with it too much.

Ok thank you. Is that close to max? Also I plan on using the berger vlds if anyone has any info. Thanks!

With 140 A-Max, the only thing my Pac-Nor barrel has seen.

2750 to the low 2900s Can't remember where I stopped but below max.

I would say 2850 is in the middle because it's in the middle.

H4350 for temp stable, R17 for more go, though I have not tried it with the 140s.

Ok thank you. Is that close to max?

44grains of imr4350. I believe that is max. No signs of pressure though. seems like a lot of people run 44.5gr of H4350 and get around 2850. 44 is already slightly compressed.

I was just in a hurry to try and hit some steel at 1000 yards with my new setup so I kinda rushed the load development. I got there last Saturday for the first time so now I can backtrack revisit my load development.

my 2776 fps was at 90 degrees 27.14bp. According to my ballistics is says near 100 degrees it would be over 2800fps

I live in CA so 90-100 is pretty typical.

Ok perfect. If I can get the vld up to about 2800 with accuracy that will do everything I'm going to need it to do so 2850 would only be better. Thanks guys

Next question. I've currently got a 6.5x284 in a rem mag contour barrel. Can I set it back and rechamber to 260 or do I need a heavier contour?

You probably don't have enough barrel shank to be able to set it back. You will have to take out the whole chamber length of the of the 6.5-284 because even up where the shoulder starts it is larger in diameter than the web or the 260. If you are making a hunting rifle I have found that a barrel in the contour of Shilens #5 1/2 med varmint or #6 light target works really well. You get the stiffness without the heaver weight of the full varmint barrels. Be sure and get a 1 in 8" twist barrel to shoot the heavy bullets.

2810 is what I have in my program and have shot out to 1100. Nosler brass with Federal 210M 140 VLD Hunting, H4831SC. This is just under max with no more pressure signs and the rifle shoots in the 3's and 4's.

That's good to hear Brent. I wanted to try 4831sc but wasn't sure I could hit that 2800 fps mark. The 260 is sounding better and better the more I think about it

I think it is a great chambering. I like the creed and 6.5x47 too. I do think I will rebarrel my short action to a 243 though. I want to put together a nice light recoiling rifle for my wife that she can shoot to a 1000 or so.

Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with the 260. Also, you go 260 AI if you wanted to chamber it as such.

Next question. I've currently got a 6.5x284 in a rem mag contour barrel. Can I set it back and rechamber to 260 or do I need a heavier contour?

Another post here is probably correct that you could not rechamber the barrel from 6.5x284 to 260 because the 284 is a larger case. This means you will likely have to rebarrel the rifle.

In the immortal words of JE Custom on this forum "the only advantage a light rifle has is weight. All other advantages go to the heavy rifle." This means that you could go with a mag contour barrel but will likely see better performance from a heavier barrel. The question to ask yourself is whether or not you will be carrying the rifle much. If so, a lighter contour as nice as it's less weight on your back. If you're going to carry the rifle in your truck, get out and shoot, then a heavy barrel is not a problem.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/

I've always had a soft spot for the creedmoor. I almost chambered this barrel in that but when it came time to decide 6.5x284 components were available and the creed wasn't. What can I expect velocity wise with the bergers out of the creed?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.