Varget - Low Velocities?

Muddyboots

So couple std loads that I have history with are now about 230 fps slower for identical load data in same rifle. Its a new container just opened for these loads in 1lb container so bit perplexed. These are not rocket science loads, basic book from both Nosler and Hodgdon. Same primers, brass and bullets. Weighed on Fxi and counter checked on older RCBS 2000 and both in lockstep. Well the RCBS was few hundreds different😂😱.

Anybody see this before? I found discussion of over 100fps drop but not this. I am going open another lb if not same lot number and see what goes.

So couple std loads that I have history with are now about 230 fps slower for identical load data in same rifle. Its a new container just opened for these loads in 1lb container so bit perplexed. These are not rocket science loads, basic book from both Nosler and Hodgdon. Same primers, brass and bullets. Weighed on Fxi and counter checked on older RCBS 2000 and both in lockstep. Well the RCBS was few hundreds different😂😱.

Anybody see this before? I found discussion of over 100fps drop but not this. I am going open another lb if not same lot number and see what goes.
Seen it many times….started buying 4kg jugs at a time and blended whatever was left. Never had an issue again.
Saw the same with H4350 and H1000.

Cheers.

Less than a 10% difference for rounds I use Varget in, lot to lot variation. Might be from the top to the bottom of what Hodgdon releases but it happens.

X2 on either buying multiple matched kegs at once, or dumping all the singles into kegs and mixing them up. 5 gallon hedpack works great for it. I bought a bunch of singles of Varget during the shortages last couple of years, usually ~4# per lot. Mixed them up, repackaged, running it fine now.

5gal Hedpack @ Amazon

Please post the lot number that ran slow. I also just bought an 8# and would like to compare.
John Barsness found a requirement for 2 grains more of a subsequent lot of Varget to give the same velocity for 250 grain bullets in the 9.3x62 compared to what a previous lot had given, but again, that's like a 100 FPS difference, not what you're seeing.

Rex

Last edited:
Hodgdon have NEVER made powder, they just package it and sell it.
Having worked at the ADI plant, I know that single pound and jugs are almost always from different lots, it's just how it is distributed.
If you smell a new lot of powder and it is heavy with ether smell, it is going to produce slower velocities.
Although lots are held to be within 3% of each other, the ether content, and how much has retained plays a big role in the final product with single based powders.
This doesn't happen with double base powders.

Cheers.

Had this happen to me with the old H-450 in my 270 Weatherby mag. There was a lot to lot difference of 4grs. Lucky for me I went from a fast lot to a slower one. JME

I've had it happen with H4350 in my 25-06. I must have had a slow lot and then got a really fast lot. My original load was at the top end but still within hodgdon max data. Dropped down two grains to work back up and got a very sticky bolt. Ended up 3.5 grains below the previous lot of powder for the same velocity.