Varget - Low Velocities?

I really don't use Varget that much so maybe 3-4 lbs on hand. I will look at lot numbers and post up. Right now, caught creeping crud from granddaughters this past week. Thought I beat it but instead kicking my butt today. So the usual OTC plus IV OJ.
Get some rest brother. The Daytona 500 on that should put you to sleep. 😁

Hodgdon have NEVER made powder, they just package it and sell it.
Having worked at the ADI plant, I know that single pound and jugs are almost always from different lots, it's just how it is distributed.
If you smell a new lot of powder and it is heavy with ether smell, it is going to produce slower velocities.
Although lots are held to be within 3% of each other, the ether content, and how much has retained plays a big role in the final product with single based powders.
This doesn't happen with double base powders.

Cheers.
Why doesn't this happen with double based powders?

I've been thru the same...but with an 8# jug.
I have a slooow batch. My MV is 75-85fps down from my old load , and when I was trying a new load in a different caliber with this jug of Varget, I was 150fps slower than the book with max load....had to pull the ole IMR 4064 out to get back to speed!

I'm assuming that you've run this load over your chronograph on more than one day right?
I actually loaded up 3 to test as double check and were spot on the previous day velocity numbers. I still can't believe it.

Plus I shot s 300WM load with 196HH day before which was spot on to rule it out.

This is a good reminder of the possible lot to lot variations. Slower velocities in this range is perplexing, but if this was in the opposite direction, more serious issues could result. I have pushed the envelope on loads where velocities were lower than expected at book max. Changing lots always should be adjusted back to book levels.

My 8lbs jug from 15yrs ago is hotter than the conservative Hornady manual charges. I typically need 1.5gr less and get higher velocities. Or maybe powder gets hotter if it sits longer?

I've not personally seen that big a swing with Varget but I have with H4350, H1000 and Retumbo. Up to 5-6% on the wild side, usually 2 to maybe 3%. 3% of a 50 grain load in Varget is 1.5 grains, I don't have by log with me but I am guessing that is at least 150FPS in a 308 class cartridge? I run my main 308 fairly hard with Varget, upper 40's with a 168 making 2840 out of a 26" barrel so I will always load at least 5 and usually 10 with half below and half above current charge when I switch lots at .2 or .3 intervals. When the chrono reads 2840 again it stacks bullets again and all is well. I do the same with all powders I have a really dialed load for.