Varget - Low Velocities?

Had a great 120 NBT/Varget load for my 7mm-08 until my jug ran out.
Opened the new one and speed was at least 100fps slower with the same charge.
Grabbed the IMR 4064, loaded a known charge and was back rolling.

I'll work back up with the "new" Varget later. I think I'll have enough room for another grain if need be.

It sure sucks though to have that much variation between lots…although this was the first time I've had that much difference.

I just did ladder testing on Saturday, and the numbers were basically spot on with the book guesses …. I was seeing about 30 fps over book until I got above book max, then who knows ? But they did climb in speed at predictable intervals. This was new Varget, purchased maybe 2 months ago ish…. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

It's been many a time stated here. That changing from one container lot to another lot . Need to reverify the load. Start back at a reduced powder load and watch for pressure signs. The other is get larger container sizes. I know that's not been easy either.
I have gotten other powders that I am not up to speed with. Only in 1# containers to try. I don't want a ton of powder sitting around, because it didn't work out.
The other is I am a single base powder user. Double base powders are temp sensitive, and I don't need that.

Recent Posts