26 Nosler rabbit hole

The are a 800 round barrel killer. Just like the 28, find a combo you want to shoot and fine tune it. Figure 200 rounds for development then put it away and only use it for hunting and shooting a few times a year. Unless you have a good smith that will just keep making you barrels. N568/n570/retumbo/H1000 all work good for hunting.

I have semi custom Rem700 26" 7.5 twist and is chambered for the Berger 156 EOL's. N570, LRT or US 869, CCI BR2,, I started out with Federal 215's but I get better SD's with the BR2. It shoots great with all 3 of the powders listed, N570 is the fastest, LRT the most accurate. The barrel can't last a long time at 3300 FPS with the 156's, it also likes the 130 Gr Nosler VLD's really well, one little whole at 100 if I do my part. 1000 is the longest I've been able to shoot, and it holds up really well at that distance. Dmagna is right about the amount of rounds to get load development, its a very finicky cartridge.

I had a 28 Nosler and my experience was that it was super finicky and didn't really have a stable load. I had it rebarreled to a 30N and I don't really expect it to be as finicky but I'm also not shooting it too much - I can practice with other rifles.

Dmagna is right on. Short barrel life so get a load developed quickly and then hunt with it !!

When doing load development give it 3-4 minutes between shots on 3 shot groups. Slow, slow powders for best velocity and pressure maintenance. I started and stayed with US869 in my 6.5-300 and when I got sub-moa groups my load work was done. Sitting on 75-80 rounds down tube now.

Good Luck!

I've been using a browning LR in 26 Nosler sense 2017 , it's a love hate relationship, it's picky and likes reload only. I originally died it in with 143gr Eldx 1.5 inch groups still I wasn't to crazy about it. Running 3400fps I've been through 9 different combo loads and went back To the E LDX It still seemed to be the best it could be with a factory barrelI use that load for a few years and then one day it opened up grouping went to about 6 inches on the board And of course I found this out while hunting i almost gave up went found some options thinking the barrel was done. Had about 500 rounds through it. Fast forward in a final attempt and never thinking ive done enuph one more go round , I built 3 more loads using 127 LRX 143 ELDX and 140 Berger Hunter Elite with Various powders . At first I was frustrated 6-7 " come on . As I was testing I noticed my groups started to get tighter 3" then 2 then I put the bergers in and it came together cutting paper 5 shot group in a dime. I couldn't believe it just wow. I think I may have jumped up and cheered a little or giggled with excitement, I landed on 85gr of us869 with 140gr Berger Elite hunters. At 3200 fps . I slowed it down a bit . I read some where sometimes a barrel will come back to you on a rare occasion. Maybe that's true or it really likes those Bergers. Either way I'm back in the saddle with one of my favorite guns . Took that bad boy out for Antelope this year 455yrds and confident I was done 9 opening day . That Berger created so much more cavity damage then ELDX although to be fair Hornady says I was running the ELDX to fast they were not designed for those speeds. I can respect that . That is my experience. That is all.

I really wanted to like the 26 nosler. Built a nice rifle (Zeus action pbb bbl) that shoots 28 nosler well, the 26 barrel is finicky as all heck. I kinda figure the barrel is the issue. I've tried load dev with us869, magpro, retumbo, 50bmg (admittedly not the best powders)... Nothing stuck. On top of that Ive tried 5 different projectiles (all copper) with most of those powders. The only loadings even worth exploring are in the range of other more efficient cartridges. It's a powder hungry cartridge. I throated the barrel as the saami chamber is not conducive to monolithics IMHO. And have yet to continue much load dev. In the flip side I built a rifle for a tightwad challenge in 6.5 prc. And it's night and day...

That said I love the speeds it's capable of and I think with decent freebore it could be a monolithic monster. But my path to accuracy has been a long road of hope.

I'll gladly share my notes and data in more detail. For what it's worth.

I have the browning long range hunter and I want to love it. It shoots 127 lrx 1/2moa at 200 yards I'm just worried how long the barrel will last. I'm currently at about 250 rounds. I'm already thinking about what I'll re barrel it to, but I'm thinking it won't be 26 Nosler. I like shooting a lot and want something that has a bit better barrel life