26 Inch or 28 Inch Barrel On 338 Rem Ultra Mag ?

Good Times

Going to re-barrel Factory Rem 700 rifle in 338 Ultra Mag. Has a Brown Precision
sporter stock and was going to go with a 26" #4 contour barrel and a brake.

Any reason to go with a 28" barrel ? Might be a little too long in a lighter hunting rifle.

Plan to shoot the Nosler 225 accubonds or the Barnes 225 grain TTSX bullets.

Thanks

I've been shooting the 26", and my partner uses 28". He does well with it but with the brake it gets in it's own way at times. He's building another rifle for those times.

Personally, I'd rather have the 26", and a bit heavier contour.

Thank You,
Are you shooting a 225 grain ? What bullet and powder ?
What velocity are you getting out of your 26" ?

I've been shooting the 26", and my partner uses 28". He does well with it but with the brake it gets in it's own way at times. He's building another rifle for those times.

Personally, I'd rather have the 26", and a bit heavier contour.

We've shot mostly the ACCUBONDS. I actually shoot the 180's the most, if there isn't a big game tag involved. They run 3500+ fps with R-22, and a Federal 215 primer.

The 225's I use the R-22, my partner uses the R-25, they run really close it seems like he always has the R-25, on hand and for whatever reason I've usually got R-22. I don't know if it's just the way components got short, or exactly a logical reason. Both will work.

The 250's H-1000 has worked for me, he uses the R-25. I've found the Nosler #6 manual to be right on for my rifle.

I've used the IMR 7828, but never found a reason to stick with it.

Thanks,
Just found some of my load info from years ago. Looks like 98 grains of Reloader 25 with 225 Grain nosler partitions and accubonds.

Looks like a listed max load in the Nosler Manual
338 Remington Ultra Magnum Load Data

We've shot mostly the ACCUBONDS. I actually shoot the 180's the most, if there isn't a big game tag involved. They run 3500+ fps with R-22, and a Federal 215 primer.

The 225's I use the R-22, my partner uses the R-25, they run really close it seems like he always has the R-25, on hand and for whatever reason I've usually got R-22. I don't know if it's just the way components got short, or exactly a logical reason. Both will work.

The 250's H-1000 has worked for me, he uses the R-25. I've found the Nosler #6 manual to be right on for my rifle.

I've used the IMR 7828, but never found a reason to stick with it.

I split the difference with my 338 RUM and went with a 27" #4 contour plus a brake. I shoot 225 Accubonds accurately at 3150 w/ H1000 and 300 Accubonds at 2780 accurately w/ RL-33.

Great info, thank you.
Didn't think of a 27" barrel but it's a good idea.

I split the difference with my 338 RUM and went with a 27" #4 contour plus a brake. I shoot 225 Accubonds accurately at 3150 w/ H1000 and 300 Accubonds at 2780 accurately w/ RL-33.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.