shorten a 30 inch krieger fluted barrel

johnhhernan

I was thinking about shortening a 29 inch barrel to about 27 inches, is this okay?

It is a Krieger match grade barrel with fluting, I got a good deal on this barrel, so I was wondering if I could cut the barrel and re-crown and re-install the muzzle brake. Will this affect accuracy of their rifle. I don't have a load developed so i figure I'd have to change my load due to harmonics on the barrel if recrown.

Leave it long. Longer is better. Unless you have a dynamics problem (won't fit a case, cannot make a shooting class weight etc.) leave it long. Losing two inches is not worth the cost.

KB

Thanks canadianbushman. I understand that'll lose velocity and redo a ladder test but it's looks like a 6 foot shooting pole. Again thanks for the advice.

Probably wont loose too much, maybe 20-40 fps.
I would try the load you already developed for it, chances are its still gonna be pretty good. If not then redo your testing.

It depends on what your shooting through it as to how much you will loose. Cut a 257 or 300 Weatherby from 26 to 24 and give up near 200 fps. Cut a 308 or 260 form 24 to 18 and loose less than 100 fps. It just depends on the case capacity and powder burn rate. I cut my 31.25" 6.5x284 down to 28" and lost no speed.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts