.300 Rum in 27 Inch barrel

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Akoutdoors, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Akoutdoors

Akoutdoors Active Member

I've got a benchmark# 5 fluted that's going to be finished to 27 inches. It this long enoughfor the .300 Rum. Or should I go with .300 WinvMag or .300 WSM?. I plan on shooting 210 Bergers for black bear,deer, and moose here in Alaska out to 800 max I've got a 7wsm and 7 rem mag as well so I don't want to go that route. Bottom metal and mag are for .300 Win Mag with max OAL in the Magazine 3.60". I wouldnt worry about having more than on shot but shooting here is like ringing the dinner bell for bears.

Stiller TAC 300 LH
    Manners T3
    Jewell
    CSR break
    Nightforce 5.5-22x50
    M4 detachable mag

2. Hired Gun

Hired Gun Well-Known Member

That is plenty of barrel for what you want to do.

3. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

Perfect !!!!!!

J E CUSTOM

4. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great set up. I'm getting one done with a 27" Broughton 5C Med Varmint Sporter which has a .750 muzzle and SSG brake. R700, PTG one peice bolt, HS Sendero Stock, Jewel, NF 5.5-22x50, extended mag box. Should be done any day now.

The 27" barrel will be just fine. I got good performance with a 26" Sendero barrel.

Good shooting and hunting and post some pics!

5. Cross Choke

Cross Choke Member

I have a .300 RUM with a 27" #5 3 grove Lilja. I agonized over the barrel - contour, weight, lenght. Settled on this. It is a hunting gun and weighs 9.5 cocked and locked. 210 Bergers at 3080 fps with 92 grains of retumbo.

I have another post on this thread about installing a Wyatt Mag box in this gun. Can not find anybody who has done this with a Montana Action. I bought the mag box for a M70 thinking it would be the same, but can not find out for sure.

I have one installed in 700 action and it is a nice poduct. If you are getting better groups and or more velosity by seating your bullet our father I would look into one of these mag boxes.

A hunting riffle should have rounds in the mag. You never know what is going to happen.

Attached Files:

6. Akoutdoors

Akoutdoors Active Member

Cross Choke and all the other knowledgeable members

Thanks for the experience and information. I really like the looks black metal and green stock, I am going to have black metal and tan stock.

Happy hunting.