25-06 with a Barnes 80gr ttsx

No doubt the 92gr Hammer is the "Hammer of Thor" and bug hole accurate…. I'm having trouble with the $1.10 plus shipping cost per bullet…

yeah… I can afford them but geez …at that price I would have to buy another safe just to store my Gucci bullets and benchrest primers.
Yeah but I bet you they are in stock when you go to order them.😉
An expensive bullet you can get is better than a cheaper one nobody can get.

As for powder the 25-06 is easy to get along with. I've used IMR 4831, 4451,4350, 7828, Varget, RL19, RL-22, RL-25, H-1000
Prolly some others I'm forgetting. They've all worked well in my applications.
I've used bullets from 85 to 120grs.
I've used Noslers, Hornadys, Speers, Sierras, Barnes, Burgers and Hammers. Some I've liked others not so much. My current 25-06 only eats the 90gr Absolute Hammers but I'm sure your Barnes will get it done.

As for powder the 25-06 is easy to get along with. I've used IMR 4831, 4451,4350, 7828, Varget, RL19, RL-22, RL-25, H-1000
Prolly some others I'm forgetting. They've all worked well in my applications.
I've used bullets from 85 to 120grs.
I've used Noslers, Hornadys, Speers, Sierras, Barnes, Burgers and Hammers. Some I've liked others not so much. My current 25-06 only eats the 90gr Absolute Hammers but I'm sure your Barnes will get it done.
I'm learning towards hammers

25-06 Remington 700 Classic, 24" barrel.
80 Gr TTSX
55.0 Gr RL-17
WLR primer
3.1 OAL
Velocity-3720

Consistently would group 3 shots into .4-.75

RL-17 provided the best combination of velocity and accuracy of the different powders I tried.

For everyone using the 90-92gr hammers, how did they work on coyotes?

I'm in no way worried about fur friendliness. Just don't want 2 .257" holes on either side of a coyote
Can't answer to coyotes but with deer my experience is little hole going in the hide little hole coming out of the hide. Mess in between holes. You might get Satellite holes from shed pedals on exit with the hammers. Should work well.

Can't answer to coyotes but with deer my experience is little hole going in the hide little hole coming out of the hide. Mess in between holes. You might get Satellite holes from shed pedals on exit with the hammers. Should work well.
90 gr AH in my 25-06 over RL16 turns internals on deer to jelly. None have made it past 40 yards

I think the 25x260rem would be the ticket. Easy 1 step neck down. Would likely run in a SA and I've never seen a big berger not like to run at 2870fps.
PTG has:

I am thinking the 25-260 Custom Chamber Reamer - Would be easy to fireform .260 lapua In a FL Bushing good for hunting with the Berger135

25-284 Winchester Custom Chamber Reamer - Would be easy to fireform 6.5x284 lapua In a FL Bushing good for hunting with the Berger135

Last edited:
I load 95 hammer hht in my roberts 6.5 staball to about 3250. Three pigs and all died fairly quickly. Last one was big-about 300 lbs. first shot pass through gut shot with guts hanging out far side. Second hit left rib and lodged somewhere in armor plate on far side. Hole through ribs on entrance side was about 3 inches. Damage to heart-lungs and liver. Went total 75 yards

Several other pigs and deer with 92 hammer. Worked well on all of them.

Before hammers shot Barnes 100 gr ttsx. That worked well on game too

I have a stainless Krieger barreled Rem700 with about 2K rounds through it… should go at least another 1000 before the accuracy degrades to 1 moa…. I never get a barrel truly hot…barrels last a lot longer than we're led to believe.
My experience has been a barrel killer is rapid fire heating.

What are you fellow quarter bore guys using as far as powders for the 80gr barnes ttsx bullet in 25-06rem size cases?

What kind of velocity are you seeing with 80ish grain monolithic bullets and what powders and charge weights are yall using?

Trying to get some ideas about what powders I should get bought to try.

TIA
I have been using RL26 in my 25-06 with 115 Bergers at 3250 it got up to 3340 but the accuracy is a dime at 3250 range and that seems fast enough for anything I'll need. Have not used ttsx in the 06 but have with others and was going to use them in a 257 bob I have

What are you fellow quarter bore guys using as far as powders for the 80gr barnes ttsx bullet in 25-06rem size cases?

What kind of velocity are you seeing with 80ish grain monolithic bullets and what powders and charge weights are yall using?

Trying to get some ideas about what powders I should get bought to try.

TIA
I am a little late replying to this thread; however, I am a HUGE fan of the 25-06, in fact I have 3 (2 SAKO's and a Browning X-Bolt) of them. The load I load up for my daughters is Barnes TTSX 100 grain; 53 grains of IMR 4350; averaging about 3,350fps. I could probably load this load a little hotter; however, it shoots good, drops deer in their tracks (depending on shot placement of course) and does the job well. My daughters' SAKO's have 23" barrels. For my Browning X-Bolt (24" barrel), I go with a totally different load as follows: 110 grain Hornady ELD-X; 55.7 grains of Alliant PP4000MR; averaging 3,250fps. Recently I have started using a 6.5PRC (have 2 of them now) that I love as well; however, my Browning 25-06 X-Bolt is my back-up gun. We hunt whitetails in Northwest Louisiana and the 25-06 has severed us well and been an EXCELLENT deer cartridge for many, many years. My youngest daughter started out with a 243 youth model when she was 10 years old and that was fine; however in 2 years she was shooting her SAKO 25-06 with ease. She is now 26 and still loves her 25-06. It is a rifle that she can use for a lifetime. Thanks guys