25-06 with a Barnes 80gr ttsx

DUCKMAN11

What are you fellow quarter bore guys using as far as powders for the 80gr barnes ttsx bullet in 25-06rem size cases?

What kind of velocity are you seeing with 80ish grain monolithic bullets and what powders and charge weights are yall using?

Trying to get some ideas about what powders I should get bought to try.

TIA

I have serious 2506 experience (I currently own 9 of perhaps the 15 passing through my hands)…It is the Nevada cartridge.

R19 is the powder for 80 gr,ttsx, 85 gr Noslers.
58 gr of R19/ 80gr ttsx gives me 3800fps from the 24" barrels…

57 gr of R19/ 85 gr Noslers gives 3600fps
(Nosler reloading manual load says most accurate load tested)

53.5 gr of 4831 / 100gr bullet gives 3350…(R22 yields the same accuracy but with a little more speed)
(Nosler most accurate load tested)

Seating depth with 2506 can dial a load in or out…

These 3 loads work best in every 2506 I have owned with the correct seating depth a particular gun likes.

Expect 5/8ths inch groups…much smaller groups from my Coopers if I take all the time and effort to "necksize/ benchrest technique the brass…but 5/8th works for me out to the extreme ethical animal shooting range I adhere to.

Only downside is R19 is temperature sensitive….so I have a whole grain difference between a winter coyote load and an antelope load.

Last edited:
I have serious 2506 experience (I currently own 9 of perhaps the 15 passing through my hands)…It is the Nevada cartridge.

R19 is the powder for 80 gr,ttsx, 85 gr Noslers.
58 gr of R19/ 80gr ttsx gives me 3800fps from the 24" barrels…

57 gr of R19/ 85 gr Noslers gives 3600fps
(Nosler reloading manual load says most accurate load tested)

53.5 gr of 4831 / 100gr bullet gives 3350…(R22 yields the same accuracy but with a little more speed)
(Nosler most accurate load tested)

Seating depth with 2506 can dial a load in or out…

These 3 loads work best in every 2506 I have owned with the correct seating depth a particular gun likes.

Expect 5/8ths inch groups…much smaller groups from my Coopers if I take all the time and effort to "necksize/ benchrest technique the brass…but 5/8th works for me out to the extreme ethical animal shooting range I adhere to.

Only downside is R19 is temperature sensitive….so I have a whole grain difference between a winter coyote load and an antelope load.
It just went from 25° as the high temperature 1 weekend to being 70° 10 days later. Im planning on wringing out all the speed i can safely so temp stable powder is a big consideration. Did you ever try N160?

What kind of barrel life. Do you get with those velocities ?
Just curious, I load the heavy bullets a lot slower and never loaded the smaller gn bullets.

RL23 if you have it or can get it. I was getting 3500fps with a 92gr Hammer. It was a warm load though.
Supposedly R23 is a temp stable R22…all these powders are impossible to get…
I just bought Nosler 100gr BTs only took 2 year wait…2 and half years now waiting on Sierra 100 gr.SMKs…frustrated..

What kind of barrel life. Do you get with those velocities ?
Just curious, I load the heavy bullets a lot slower and never loaded the smaller gn bullets.
I have a stainless Krieger barreled Rem700 with about 2K rounds through it… should go at least another 1000 before the accuracy degrades to 1 moa…. I never get a barrel truly hot…barrels last a lot longer than we're led to believe.
My experience has been a barrel killer is rapid fire heating.