seating barnes ttsx

red dawg

I know VERY little about shooting and less about seating them correctly, I have a good load in my savage 116 7mag, and a nosler red tip hunting, a little while back I grabbed 2 loaded 120 grn ttsx bullets loaded with same imr 4350 recipe,and killed 2 yotes at 150 yds like I had shot these bullets alot, but I just got finished reading an article on a predator site that said he had the same gun and seated the bullets to the 1st cannelure and doesn't seat .050 off the lands. can someone help me with this with some past grouping or experiences. I loaded these ttsx's touching the lands.

morning, I shoot barnes bullets alot. I seat till I find a sweet spot. I have a 340wb

that likes to the second groove on barnes TTSX bullets. If possible I use LRX and M/LE

bullets. I make dummy rounds to measure chamber spacing. Then I use my RCBS

precision seating die to set the depth of the bullet. I use different brand

bullets in calibers, but prefer barnes. I exclusively use barnes TSX 53gr. in all of my

223 and 22-250. very accurate killing bullet.

I use precision micrometer and metering dies to gauge the depth on the seating of

the bullets. If u shoot a particular caliber and brand of bullets or different brands

of bullets u might consider buying a RCBS or other type of bullet precision seater.

I very much like barnes . gun)lightbulb

I made dummy rounds for ttsx, and nosler red tip both with 64 grn of 4350 I measured coal on both dummy rounds this morning, and the barnes was .030 off the lands, and the nosler was kissing them, I will go more in depth with working up a group with ttsx when the nosler's start running low. Should I redouce the amount of powder with the barnes when starting with it or use the same charge as nosler? it is 64grn with both charges seem kinda light too me?

Well my noslers are one hole at 100, but I was kinda suspect of just seating the barnes to the 1st cannelure, not sure how far off the lands that would be, at.030 off the whole cannelure is totally visible

Oh yea, I forgot to mention just got home from yote hunting and a call shy 365yd dog thought he was far enough away to stop, But he made a error in judgment, that's kinda why I don't just load a pile of test rounds and head to the range

I ALWAYS test shoot at Barnes OAL in their load data first! (After many trials I tend to end up close to their lengths so anymore I just start their).

Usually their OAL will put neck somewhere close to just covering front most cannelure.

I have only had a couple of loads over the years that i ever moved from their published lengths. Easy bullets to make shoot in general.

well I'm close to that length now, may not be as long a process as I thought Thanks for the info

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.