Barnes 200gr ttsx

busse fan

I emailed Barnes asking what kind of velocity was required for proper expansion on the 200gr ttsx and asked if one needed to hit a shoulder for example at long range to initiate expansion.

This is the reply I got:

The 200 grain TTSX will open at a min of 1600 fps in water, probably 1400 fps in an animal. Our bullets don 't use a force pushing against them to open, they just require fluid to enter the nose cavity, so they don't care if it hits shoulder or not.

I have read 1800fps previously but this is kinda exciting. Just thought I'd share.

Very interesting. I always use the 1800fps 'golden rule' too and have built my 300 rum loads around that notion. Just for safety's sake, I'll probably continue to use the 1800fps rule since I've already got an 880 yd (where it drops below 1800fps) load built w/ the 200g LRX (formerly the TTSX).

Following Barnes' comments, however, that would make my load a 1000+ yd load. According to JBM, my current load is still moving at 1636 @ 1000yds. :D

--Ben

What the Barnes bullets current threshold for expansion is I have no idea. I will say having been through more than one generation of X bullet, the Barnes reps claims regarding low velocity expansion have always been significantly lower than my observations. Not a slam at the bullet but like a former president use to say "trust but verify".

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.