25-06 with a Barnes 80gr ttsx

I see everyone is discussing lighter bullets (80gr) in the 25-06. Sounds like y'all have a handle on the 1/4 bore.
We have about 1,500 Berger 133 & 135gr .257 bullets was thinking about a 25-284. What else would be a good cartridge for these heavier bullets? We have more rifles than we can shoot right now and don't know if I will get my spinal cord issue fixed. So may not build a 1/4 bore and just sell these bullets so they don't keep tempting me.
Getting ready to put an order in for some barrels and can get a 1:7.
Thanks
I've had a 25-284 for almost 50 years, but built on a 722 action so couldn't load those heavy for caliber bullets. Used 100 gr Barnes and never had a mule deer take a step. 4831sc pushes the Barnes well and the Douglas 26" tube groups them under moa. Great cartridge

Love the 25-06. Lived in eastern Montana during the 80's when we could get 8 deer tags some years (5 muley doe, 2 whitetail doe, and the A tag). Made lots of sausage for family & friends. Those years I used 120 gr Speer Grand Slam bullets in my Browning B78. Currently using 115 gr Berger VLD. Always used 4831 powder from various mfgs. Never lost a deer. Occasionally had to put down animals wounded by my hunting partners that were hunting with hot 22 calibers. Minimal meat loss with the 25-06.

OT, any idea how the light bullets would do in a .257 roberts? i am running 115 gr hornady bullets at 2800 fps.
A 92 grain Hammer Hunter from your BOB. Should hit around 3250 to 3300 something. Move up to a faster burn powder fill up the case to the shoulder, seat a bullet about 85 to 95 thousands off the lands, Then chronograph it. If you don't have pressure and are happy with the speed sight in and see the group. Adjust the depth for better group. But I'm willing to bet you will be happy right there. If you want more speed add powder until you hit pressure, back off one grain, try again.

Last edited:
What are you fellow quarter bore guys using as far as powders for the 80gr barnes ttsx bullet in 25-06rem size cases?

What kind of velocity are you seeing with 80ish grain monolithic bullets and what powders and charge weights are yall using?

Trying to get some ideas about what powders I should get bought to try.

TIA
Hybrid 100V with the 80TTSX give me well over 3,800 fps in my 26" tube

How temp stable is 100v
Its not terrible, think Reloaded 17. But it burns hot. Just hunting, ok. Set and fire repeatedly, not ok. It was a marketing program that said you could pick up an additional 100 feet per second using it at the same pressure. I tried it, it works ok. But I wasn't fond of firing three times and be able to cook an egg on the barrel.

Its not terrible, think Reloaded 17. But it burns hot. Just hunting, ok. Set and fire repeatedly, not ok. It was a marketing program that said you could pick up an additional 100 feet per second using it at the same pressure. I tried it, it works ok. But I wasn't fond of firing three times and be able to cook an egg on the barrel.
Yeah thats not for me then. I don't like to have to tiptoe around my powder choice

I run light to medium "varmint weight" barrels on my 25-06's, and they tend to take more time to heat up than sporter or thin weights. Personally, I have no issues with the powder for hunting loads, but when sighting in or group testing, I never fire faster than 3 shots in 5 minutes with most any rifle. I do like the speeds it gives me.

Last edited: