.243 Win Case Length ?

SteveBurton

Formerly 'Jackmonkey'
I have a factory Remington 700 in .243 Win. In the pursuit to get the best accuracy and to limit throat erosion, I measured the chamber length. I did this with a brand new case that was FL sized and a Sinclair Chamber Length Gauge. I found the chamber in my rifle to be 2.080". The maximum case length for a .243 Win is 2.045 with a recommended trim length of 2.030-2.035. That seems like a lot of free space in front of the case to me but I would like some more knowledgeable reloaders to comment on this. The .243 is notorious for case stretching and throat erosion.

Will this free space contribute to throat erosion?
Should I let me case necks grow in length to fit my chamber?
What should I trim the neck length to?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I have never had a problem with the .243 case stretching. I have some brass that has 8 or more firings on it and has only ever been trimmed once and I only neck size it. It has grown less than a few thousandths.

It won't matter to throat erosion, and your NECKS will not grow 35thou to reach chamber end.
I would not want so much clearance as this leads to carbon build up at the case mouths(a new chamber end), preceded by heavy fouling down necks all the way to shoulders, increasing ES.
I don't know what your clearance measures from case to case, but I probably would not trim until looking at it again, quite a few reload cycles down the road.
But I would mind the carbon building in this region for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.